IGNORED

83 Mixture Screw Source???

I finally found the reason why a couple of cylinders were idling super rich - the tips of two idle mixture screws were missing, busted off by some previous owner! In looking at the carb exploded diagram it doesn't seem that these screws have a part number and I am guessing that they aren't available from the dealer (I'll check tomorrow morning). Anyone know a source for these little stinkers? Anyone have a couple of old carbs they might like to sell? Feeling a little gloomy right now.

zag

Well, I confirmed this morning that the super secret mixture screw that Yam doesn't want us messing with cannot be purchased from a dealer. Big surprise. I am going to make a leap of faith and order a couple from the MikesXS site which fit a similar Mikuni carb - the BS34 (Venture has the downdraft version BDS34). For all you screw busters out there, I will let you know if they match.

I am telling the truth - I didn't shear them off, someone else did! Some freak'n moron.

zag

Don't know that the guy learned anything since he crashed it, totalled it, and the insurance co. sold it to me. The idle screw was the last thing I checked after ripping out the carbs 4 times. I didn't know they had such a fragile tip that could be broken off. Other idle screws I have seen were simply tapered to a tip on the business end. I'll let you know what I find out when the replacements arrive.

zag

Freebird, you are exactly correct and I appreciate you checking on this! On the other hand, I looked through the various carb components and none of them seem to have the same part numbers as the 83 versions. I wonder if they really are the same. Of course, on the other-other hand, could they be any worse than a mixture screw from an entirely different carburetor like the ones I ordered based purely on the picture? Could you pull one out of your machine and send it to me so I can check it out?

zag

Well, since mine is a '99, I don't think it would help much to pull mine out. :) I did have a set of carbs off the '83 that I parted out but I'm thinking that I gave them to Muffinman. Don't remember for sure, I'll look when I get home tomorrow night.

http://www.mikesxs.net/parts/img250/48-5011.jpg

This is the one I ordered - fits the 80-84 stock BS34 Mikuni carbs. We have the BDS34 carbs. Sure looks similar but who knows, not me!

zag

I believe they will fit in your Carbs, but i never had a '83 Carb-Set on the Bench ...

Well, since mine is a '99, I don't think it would help much to pull mine out.

It's the thought that counts! Following your logic, I looked up the 85 Vmax and got a part number which AMAZINGLY matches the one for the 91 Venture. Somehow, I think that we are on to something. The Beast will live again!

zag

Sorry, Vogel is a long way for me with only two functioning cylinders. Since I've ordered two that may fit and I'm going to order another two that may fit, I will keep your offer in my back pocket for now. I really appreciate your interest in my plight (i.e. my total screwedness).

Thanks,

zag

I also wonder if they are the same as the later first gens. A lot of the fisches don't list the '83 parts now but they do list parts for the later models. I just looked at http://www.dgy.com and just chose the '91 Venture and they do list all the carb parts.

You da man, Mr. Bird! I checked the 85 Vmax parts list and it matched the 91 venture part number. Went to the stealer this afternoon and they actually had 7 of these little stinkers in stock! No lie. Bought 2, came home after work and stuck them in the carbs and put the carbs back in the beast. Fired right up and it is burning on all four! Hot pipes all the way around. Finally. Looks like I may be able to run up to the Pork rally with Eagleeye later this month.

Thanks for the suggestion on the part number - it never occurred to me that they might list the part for later models.

happy zag