IGNORED

Need advice on touring bag for RSTD

Grey Ghost

I am looking for a touring bag for my RSTD. It's hard to tell very much from the small pictures in ads and I haven't had any experience with them.

From what I see, some of them mount over the backrest and sit on the passenger seat while others seem to strap to the back side of the backrest. I think I would prefer one that will strap securely to the back or fit either way.

It doesn't have to be leather, cordura fabric would be OK but I am not interested in spending $400 on one. Would also prefer one with some type of inner frame to keep it's shape.

I have seen a couple of the Saddleman bags that I might like, but I would like some feedback from folks who have had different ones and what you think about them.

I have run a seach on the forum, but some of the older links no longer work.

I may be asking too much, but hey, if you don't ask ........

Thanks,

Jeff

I bought two things: the Yamaha OEM luggage rack, which attaches to the backrest and above the fender, and a Kuryakyn Ultra Tour Bag.

The luggage rack provides a place for the bag to sit behind the passenger seat.

The Ultra Tour bag has proven to be plenty big for weekend two-up getaways (we haven't tried longer) and week-long solo tours. When my wife isn't touring with me, the bag sits on the passenger seat. There is a large velcro flap that wraps around the seat, with a couple web straps to lash the bottom down. I found it online for ~$130, including shipping.

Hope this helps,

Dave

I bought a Nelson Rigg bag that is waterproof. Lots of room and it works. We drove through an Atlantic Coast downpour and my wife was dry as bone because she was hiding behind me and the bag kept the spray off of her. All our kit was bone dry as well.

Edited by BobanVal

I use this Kuryakyn bag on long trips. It is big, side opening with a shelf inside so you don't have to dig through a ton of stuff to get to what is on the bottom. It also has big pockets on the outside and an attachment mechanism that works well with the RSTD. This thing really is big, it swallows my size 14 sneaks without a hitch. It accomodates a roll on top using existing straps to tie them down. This will hold more than a Venture trunk, but it is not as secure (or as good looking). The zippers are water resistant, and it comes with a large rain cover that will cover the roll on top of the bag if neccesary.

It has wheels on the bottom and a strap handle so you can drag it through the parking lot if you're not up to toting it. I've put thousands of miles on mine with no trouble.

It is a bit heavy for the luggage rack that attaches to the back of the RSTD passenger backrest. I bought the Yamaha luggage rack that mounts on the rear fender and it holds up fine under the weight of the Kuryakyn bag.

Best regards,

Edited by Stoutman
add info.

had the Nelson Rigg and the T-Bags at the same time Nelson was ok but the T-Bags were so much better and easyier to axcess things from that i kept them

here is my T-Bag on the back of the sissybar and it also has a roll bag that goes on top of the bag to but i dont always take it with me if i dont need the extra room

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/drayco58/packedup.jpg?t=1238187127