IGNORED

need info on MGB GT

Snarley Bill

don't think it's aluminum. he said it had a rust spot on top of one of the fenders. :)

don't kid your self aluminum will corrode as well as steel speacially if salt is used on the roads, and more so if it is in constant contact with steel such as steel fastners.

I beg the differ on the aluminum body. Mine had been in some kind of an accident altercation before I traded for and was told it had had a total repaint, right after I got it the paint started to come loose from all over the body, deck lid, one fender and also falling off the hood so I contacted the previous owner to find out who had painted it so I could have them redo the paint job. Thats when I got the rest of the story, it seems that the reason the guy got rid of it was because the paint had fell of before and the shop had redone it again. When I took it back for a third repaint the company said they would do no more, that they didn't know how to keep the paint stuck to an aluminum body. Not long after I heard of a collector that gave me a nice price at the time $2.500.00. I latter found out you have to etch the aluminum with acid and then use a special zinc chromate primer to make the paint stay on oh well live and learn

My friend (Union Jack Ltd) has restored and repaired only MGs (and healeys) for almost 40 years. He has over 200 of these cars in his possesion at any time.

Only the bonnets were aluminum. They were also very poor quality aluminum. Bondo would not stick, and they bent easily. Most were twisted when someone tried to "slam" the hood without removing the prop rod. Most of the aluminum bonnets junked years ago. It is a uni-body design. Front inner fenders, cowl, rocker panels and Rear fenders are welded to car and are structural.

The aluminum bonnet was the "standard" one only, and was used on both B and B-GT. He has never seen a raised section C hood in Alum.

Want to see a real austin healy check out this car a freind of mine retro fitted. He has restored over 200 of these Austin healys any thing you want know about these cars he can tell you. He even manufactures and supplies a replacement frame for healys.

http://www.britishv8.org/Other/MartinJansen.htm

http://www.jule-enterprises.com/

ONE WORD OF WARNING HE IS 100% HARD CORE HARLY BUT ALSO LOVES BRITISH BIKES

The car is worth getting, for free for goodness sakes.

You can get anything for these cars, be sure to check out Moss Motors, get their catalog, the bible for "B" owners.

Then learn every British electrics joke: Why do Brits drink warm beer? Lucas Fridges!

There are hundreds of these jokes. It is "B" law that you learn them all.

They are a fun car to drive, cheap to maintain once you get rid of the aforementioned Lucas junk, and they still look cooler than most sports cars.

I had a 74 pre rubber bumper model, that I autocrossed to the AMGBA national Gymkahna (sp?) title in Illinois many years ago.

The GT is the hardtop version that is more weather tight, but parts are a little harder to find. the hatch in the back was prone to leaks/rust.

One of the best MG mechanics in the world is in Peoria, IL, let me know if you want to get in touch with him.

update on mgb gt. going to look at it tomorrow, it is possibly a 1974, no rust, needs paint, etc. did a little research, the 6cyl. was an MGC.

they made a few that were fiberglass from the doors back. could'nt find any history on an aluminum body. lots of aluminum body parts were used. like the bonnet and doors. in 1975 they went to rubber bumpers. they are not worth much, cuz they are butt ugly. the six is an improved version of the healey 3000 motor. totally different. this one has wire wheels and a four banger .it is orange with a tan corduroy interior as close as i can remember. if i don't take it my sister is going to take it. i'm just not the sportscar type but that may change when i see it. my friend insists that he wants me to have it. hate to look a gift horse in the mouth , but i sure wish it was a super car from the 60's. lol. there is a v-6 ford convertion kit available for it, which allows the use of a late model ford v6 and tranny as a bolt in. i may do a redo for linda cuz she has never had a car she could call her own, and wants a saturn sky. FAT CHANCE :rotf::rotf:hope i don't get hooked on this thing cuz i'm getting ready to move into retirement again. toys and retirement don't seem to work well together. mostly the big expensive ones. :depressed: :sign29:

If you have never driven a sports car take it and get it running then find a winding road. If you have it you can always sell it later.

I have had.....'56 MGA leather and brass fittings

'57 MGA vinyl and stainless steel

'59 MGA

'65 TR4A

'65 Healy 3000 MK II with BJ8 engine.

I could no longer afford sports cars so I got into bikes instead as the closest thing to the sport car. I still can't afford the sports cars.

well i went and looked at it. solid body,needs paint, has'nt been started in 25 years. it is all there and needs no major parts. it has been inside for 25 years. absolutely filthy. interior is in good shape. no rust. for a total restoration it would be a premium car to start on. to just make a reliable driver it would take alot of money and work. i just don't feel like taking on this project at my age. i could just bring it home and resell it and make a few grand ,but that is not what my buddy had in mind when he offered it to me. so i told my sister she could have it. my brother inlaw likes sports cars and is retired and older than me and has more time. wish it would have never been offered to me but it was nice of my buddy to offer. bill :2133: