IGNORED

Need help

Guest RSMV2005

Guest RSMV2005

Good day,

I would like to know how easy is it to remove those chrome moldings on the front fairing on a RSMV 2005.

The fairing need to be repainted and I would like to remove those chrome molding and reinstall it later.

Thanks.

If you mean the 2 "eye lashes" by the windshield, they are glued on. Use fishing line to cut the glue between the chrome and the fairing. I had to use "Goo be Gone" to get the glue off. It's a bit of a job but I think it gives a different look to the bike. I removed the insignia on the side of the tank as well.

Cheers, Marty :080402gudl_prv:

Guest RSMV2005
If you mean the 2 "eye lashes" by the windshield, they are glued on. Use fishing line to cut the glue between the chrome and the fairing. I had to use "Goo be Gone" to get the glue off. It's a bit of a job but I think it gives a different look to the bike. I removed the insignia on the side of the tank as well.

Cheers, Marty :080402gudl_prv:

------------------

Thanks Marty,

It's exactly what I meant (the 2 "eye lashes" by the windshield).

Jeez this was a quick response...:cool10:

Michel.:sign woo hoo:

Not sure how it's attached, but if it's the same way the black tank edging is attached on a 1stGen, there are little metal clips inside the slot and they'll come off with a little coaxing.

Based on my expierence riding behind u first gen's , it doesn't take much coaxing at all for any of yuor parts!!!!!:cool10:

Based on my expierence riding behind u first gen's , it doesn't take much coaxing at all for any of yuor parts!!!!!:cool10:
Now Rick, quit picking on Jack.

Guest Coastie

Use extreme caution when taking the chrome eyebrows off the fairing. The fairing is plastic, while the tank is metal. The plastic will scratch much easier. Do not use a great deal of force when cleaning off the excess glue left after removal. Use patience and a gentle chemical. I used WD40 on the fairing and Goo Gone on the tank. After removing the fairing eyebrows, clean area good and put on a good coat of wax. You will be very happy with how the fairing looks once those chrome strips are gone - I sure was.

After I removed the tank badges I was also please with the look, but my God is that tank big. I plan to break up the slab look by putting a very thin lightening bold pen strip the length of the tank.

Good luck and happy tinkering.

Oh - I also removed that ugly plastic looking black belt thingy trim strip from around the bottom of the tank. Again - looks better.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RSMV2005
Use extreme caution when taking the chrome eyebrows off the fairing. The fairing is plastic, while the tank is metal. The plastic will scratch much easier. Do not use a great deal of force when cleaning off the excess glue left after removal. Use patience and a gentle chemical. I used WD40 on the fairing and Goo Gone on the tank. After removing the fairing eyebrows, clean area good and put on a good coat of wax. You will be very happy with how the fairing looks once those chrome strips are gone - I sure was.

After I removed the tank badges I was also please with the look, but my God is that tank big. I plan to break up the slab look by putting a very thin lightening bold pen strip the length of the tank.

Good luck and happy tinkering.

Oh - I also removed that ugly plastic looking black belt thingy trim strip from around the bottom of the tank. Again - looks better.

Thanks for your advices. :cool10:

Good day,

I would like to know how easy is it to remove those chrome moldings on the front fairing on a RSMV 2005.

The fairing need to be repainted and I would like to remove those chrome molding and reinstall it later.

Thanks.

Since it's a 2nd Gen, it may just fall off:rotf: :rotf:

Guest Coastie

Very easy to remove. I took mine off and love the clean look of the fairing without them. They are held on with double sided tape. Just be careful cleaning off the glue.