IGNORED

Using a V-Star 1100 shock on a 1st gen Venture?

xvz12

I have an 83 Venture std on which the rear shock has died, the bike has over 100k on it, & cosmetically not in the best of shape (still runs great), & I'm having a REALLY hard time spending 500 bucks on a shock for a bike that probably isn't worth much more than that. In my perusing the internet, I've noticed that in a couple of parts listings, replacement shocks for this bike share the same part number as the replacement shock for an 99-06 V-Star 1100. This lead me to thinking about finding a used shock for a V-Star, as I would have a LOT more faith in a used shock for a 5 year old bike, than spending the same amount of money on a 26 year old shock (I've bought several off of eBay, all bad). In comparing the two shocks, the V-Star shock has a clevis on the bottom, whereas the Venture shock has eyes at both ends. I guess what I'm asking for in my rather long-winded way, has anybody heard of using a V-Star shock on the 1st gen Ventures, & if so what modifications did they have to do?

Thanks in advance,

Wynn

I have an 83 Venture std on which the rear shock has died, the bike has over 100k on it, & cosmetically not in the best of shape (still runs great), & I'm having a REALLY hard time spending 500 bucks on a shock for a bike that probably isn't worth much more than that. In my perusing the internet, I've noticed that in a couple of parts listings, replacement shocks for this bike share the same part number as the replacement shock for an 99-06 V-Star 1100. This lead me to thinking about finding a used shock for a V-Star, as I would have a LOT more faith in a used shock for a 5 year old bike, than spending the same amount of money on a 26 year old shock (I've bought several off of eBay, all bad). In comparing the two shocks, the V-Star shock has a clevis on the bottom, whereas the Venture shock has eyes at both ends. I guess what I'm asking for in my rather long-winded way, has anybody heard of using a V-Star shock on the 1st gen Ventures, & if so what modifications did they have to do?

Thanks in advance,

Wynn

When you decide, let me know, I believe I have a 1100 shock in my stash of stuff from a previous life. LOL :banana:

Bubber

Bubber;

You would earn my undying gratitude if I could get you to measure the width (outside to outside) of the clevis on the bottom of the shock. also, if this measurement works out for me, I would be interested in buying from you.

Thanks,

Wynn

You can also purchase a First Gen Royale rear shock. Install the progressive rear spring. I just used the shraeder valve from the standard and installed it onto the royale shock. Worked great on my 84. Cost me about 40 bucks for the royale shock (fleabay), 45 dollars for the spring (bikebandit.com), and 45 dollars to have the spring installed (local yammie shop).

Bubber;

You would earn my undying gratitude if I could get you to measure the width (outside to outside) of the clevis on the bottom of the shock. also, if this measurement works out for me, I would be interested in buying from you.

Thanks,

Wynn

The dimensions are (((drum roll please))))))

Top shock mount through bushing 1.587"

Lower mount

outside of clevis 1.580"

inside of clevis 1.180"

width of base 1.175" (so base measures 1.580" X 1.175")

I gotta go out for a while but I will check when I get back or send a PM through my profile if you like. Oh BTW the shock I have was only taken off to replace it with a high price Progressive shock, It was good at the time of replacement ~2 years ago.

OTAY?

Bubber

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! I now have something I can work with.....you don't know how much I appreciate your taking the time out of your busy life to do this for me. I will do a little creative measuring myself when I get home, & will pm you to see if we can make arrangements. Again I thank you for taking the time to do this.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! I now have something I can work with.....you don't know how much I appreciate your taking the time out of your busy life to do this for me. I will do a little creative measuring myself when I get home, & will pm you to see if we can make arrangements. Again I thank you for taking the time to do this.

Glad I could help

Steve

OK, the V-Star shock is on its way....I will report back with my success (or failure) as soon as I have anything to report. :fingers-crossed-emo Oh, yeah, I'll snap a few pics of the process. Thank you to those that were kind enough to help out a noob to this forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I finally got around to putting the V-Star shock on my Venture......Long story short - it didn't work. Bolted right in, but when I kicked the bike off the center stand, it went straight down to the rubber bumper.....oh well, such is life. I would like to thank Bubber for all the help he has given me, & the whole thing was worth a try, even if it didnt work. After all, Edison made something like a thousand bulbs before he was successful:scratchchin:

Guest tx2sturgis

Well, only 999 more shocks to try.

:crackup:

I wonder if you can add a stronger spring?

Hey you think this is bad? They want about $500 for a monoshock to fit on an old 1981 XT250 dual sport. The bike only cost $900 brand new in 1983!! Are they kidding me? This old weedhopper of a bike just aint worth it.!

It seems like I read somewhere that the Roadstar spring will fit the V Star shock and stiffen it up quite a bit. You might look for one of those used. A lot of folks find the stock V Star spring too soft. I set the shock on my wife's V Star at its firmest, and the bike still bounced around like a pogo stick with both of us on it. Usually her bike is just a solo ride though, so it's okay the way it is.