IGNORED

maple syrup

mraf

Years ago, when I lived east of Cleveland Ohio, we used to go to Chardon, Ohio to their annual maple festival down on the square of town.

As of last year, (when I went to Freebird's MD), I rode through Chardon again for old times sake, and the small log cabin still remains on the edge of the square where they boiled the tree sap and made the best natural Maple syrup I have ever tasted.

They made maple syrup and all types of maple candy. Women and men of different church groups were all cooking up thier home made recipes of pancakes and the square was just full of people eating and having a blast.

I remember as we rode in and out of Chardon, maple trees lined the highways and side roads and all the maple trees had buckets and pails hanging collecting fresh sap.

Hey, that stuff is sticky .......and was heck getting off your clothes..:whistling:

The darker the better. I actually love the Grade C maple syrup over all the Grade A clear stuff. Way more flavor, sweeter, better in every way. It's really hard to find anything other than Grade A except at a local source. Even the "farm stores" around here all simply sell someone else's packaged stuff.

but then I like grade B honey over the Grade A as well. more flavor and it makes a incredible Mead/Honey Wine....

We've got about 30 gallons so far this year but the weather isn't as good as it could be. We've got around 344 trees tapped. Gather with Belguim horses. Having a free pancake breakfast this Saturday and give free tours of Sugershack. Stop by if you are in the area.

But does he sell it?

:mytruck:

Yes, but only local and by word of mouth. He makes a few thou a year. It looks to me that it is addicting as everything else that man does. He started out small and now has steadily grown to a larger and larger operation. Top of the line everything, and boy is everything to do with Maple syrup production expensive.:mo money: The end result though is quite tasty.:thumbsup2::D

Guest JGorom

Wife made some buckwheat pancakes a few weeks ago...smothered them babies and some crispy bacon with some of the "dark amber"...ohhh...it was soooo good!!!