IGNORED

Radiator Leak somewhere!!!

jburrell

Well its probably a good thing I am planning a MD soon. This morning I headed down the road and was concerned about the weather and I felt wetness and it was antifreeze on my r leg. It seems I may have a leak somewhere in the front near the radiator as the water/antifreeze hit me calf level down on the right leg only. It was not a lot and I managed to turn around and get back home with no aissues. Funny thing was the water/AF was never even hot on my leg. I guess I will need to take a very good look to see if I can tell where the leak is and hope its a hose and not the radiator. I did not realise it but, this may have happened last friday as I saw a silver substance on the r sid e engine but could not tell where it came from ant though perhaps it was something someone spilled passing by. I had not ridden since then due to work around the house etc. This time when I returned home I noticed the antifreeze seems to turn silver on the engine. Does that souond right??. If anyone has experienced this let me know what you found. I am hoping this is just an upper hose that just decided to let go.. Now time to go back to the drawing and see where those hoses etc are located and how to get to them.

There are rubber plugs under the fake cylinder air fins. My 99 started to seap around them after a few years.

What I did was to take the fins off and if you look on the back side you will see a smooth raised area that comes in contact with the plugs.

My fix was to use silicone and attach a dime to the top of each one of these contact points. That held the plugs in tight and stoped my leak.

Do not run the bike with the fin covers off or you will blow the plugs out of the heads. ( I guess this would happen ) I would never do such a thing. LOL

Steve

hi james

just a wild guess, i had some antifreese puddle under stator cover. found one of my rubber plugs under the fake cylinder fins was leaking. you have to use a spark plug, unscrew the top of the plug off and insert the spark into this rubber plug. it will come out. i just cleaned the gunk off the rubber plug a put it back in with some lube. now doin't start the engine up with out the fake fin back on and bolted down. took me about 15 minutes to find that plug when it blow out of the hole with out the cylinder fin bolted down. this may not be your problem but a place to start. also with the bike parked over night had some coolent on top of the stator cover.

good luck hope it's simple

don c. :thumbsup:

I took mine out and put lock thread on them and put the rubber plugs back in. Someone on this site recommended it to me when mine was leaking. It hasn't leaked since. I was going to put new ones in mine but they were 14.00 each.

Well it sounds like I need to look into the plug issue. I won't get a chance for a day or two but I will get back with what I found but from what you say it sounds like one of the plugs. Thanks for the advice. That is why I love this site and all these nice people.Now if more of us can just meet and have a good time.

Thanks all

:dancefool::dancefool: