IGNORED

VentureRide Around the Texas Border

V7Goose

Well all, it is time to get serious about planning the spring rides. My brother and I have a real doozy coming up. Sometime around the middle of March, probably between the 10th and the 15th, we will be heading out to ride all the way around the state of Texas, sticking as close to the border as possible. We will be riding counter-clockwise, starting in Texarkana. The exact date is not locked in yet since we think this is still pretty early in the year, and the weather could get a little dicey up in the panhandle. We will be watching the long range forecasts and plan on KSU as soon as wee see a good two week window.

Any and all of you that might want to ride along, even for just a part of the way, are more than welcome. I haven't finished the exact route yet, but it is getting close. Maybe in a day or two it will be all done. Best estimate right now is the trip will be about 4,500 miles and take maybe 16 days. You can see my work in progress here (but don't just click on the link!):

Google Maps KML file link

If you just click on that link it will try to load all the data into Google Earth, but then you won't be able to see changes I make. To display this entire route on one screen in Google Maps you need to kind of trick it. You need to COPY that link by right clicking on it and selecting "Copy Link Location" (or "Copy Shortcut" if using IE), open Google Maps and paste the link into the Search Maps box, then hit search. Once the map comes up you can put it in your My Maps and it will always be there. Each time you open or refresh Google Maps it will display the total route in its most current state.

Every inch of this route has been selected by tracing the exact roads through the satellite pictures zoomed in close in Google Earth - several weeks worth of work! You will see lots of different parts of the track around the border, in various colors just so I could keep each piece straight while working on it. These are VERY detailed tracks, following every specific road and curve. Most of them stick to paved roads, - we're not riding dual-sport machines, ya know? But there are some sections, especially over in the panhandle and down above Big Bend where they get into some pretty significant dirt. We have no idea yet if we will actually attempt some of those roads - plan on deciding as we go along. I don't ordinarily care which exact roads I ride, but trying to stay close to the border on this trip has become like a treasure hunt for me.

One other thing you will see are some much less detailed pink tracks. You probably want to un-check all of these to not display, since they really don't have any value in Google Maps. These are the special tracks I have made to import into my GPS and let it navigate the plotted routes. I have done a lot of testing with both my XOG GPS and Micro$oft Streets & Trips, and when told to navigate those pink tracks they follow the detailed tracks almost perfectly.

Maybe we'll see some of ya on the road! Ride safe,

Goose

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

El Paso, TX. Cartel (2000 murders in 08) real bad in Juarez right now (worst in the world). DO NOT go over. But El Paso has one the the lowest crime rates in the USA. Go figure?

Let me know if you help, place to stay, advice, anywhere in far west Texas.

PM me. I like to meet new to me bikers. Retired.

Well, the time is getting closer, and the long term forecast still looks good - we probably won't lock it in for a few days yet. The route is all done. After looking at so many satellite photos for so long, I'm pretty excited to see what some of that stuff looks like in real life when we get there!

5bikes, we will absolutely be coming through El Paso - don't have any idea yet where we will be stopping, but it will be in the area somewhere. We would certainly like to meet you while we are there, and we do appreciate the offer of a place to stop. I'll contact you after we lock in a start date to see if anything fits your schedule.

Dave, we won't be going far enough north to actually go through Houston, but we'd love to have you meet us down near the border somewhere. Looks like we may be stopping around Freeport when we get that way, so that gives us several opportunities to meet up. I'll let you know when we set a starting date and keep you posted as we get closer.

Everything is looking good, and I'm anxious to get on the road!

Goose

Weather looks like we'll slide along the northern border just fine. Leaving out of Texarkana on Monday morning. First night in Denison, Tuesday night in Vernon, then Wednesday night way up in the corner of the Panhandle in Higgins. And on and on and on - 16 days later we should be back in Texarkana. I'll wave if I see ya on the road!

Goose

Guest tx2sturgis

Seems like if yer gonna ride 4500 miles you should pick a ride with something interesting. Like Sturgis, Las Vegas, or something off towards Blue Ridge. Oh well. Have fun.

While in Clayton,NM you might want to stop in at the Eklund Hotel & Restaurant. Several of us that belong to the Southern Cruisers like to do a day ride from Amarillo to eat at the restaurant. Haven't got to do it in a good while since I went back to work.

Hope this links works.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=http:%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Fmaps%2Fms%3Fsource%3Ds_q%26hl%3Den%26geocode%3D%26ie%3DUTF8%26msa%3D0%26output%3Dnl%26msid%3D113017121864000747540.000463e5fcb2c641e3f24&ie=UTF8&ll=36.451657,-103.184479&spn=0,359.995193&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=36.451717,-103.184306&panoid=TUtpPLVKVfIv2RqICrW0cA&cbp=12,271.00340386108183,,0,5

Guest tx2sturgis
If you have to ask, you would never understand. Study longer, Grasshopper, and one day you, too, may be a biker. :big-grin-emoticon:

Goose

Yeah...someday I'd like to ride around Europe...maybe Australia..... But the perimeter of Texas? Nah.

OK, Texas VentureRiders, we have a couple of contacts to make on our way around the border, 5bikes in El Paso, Vance in Brazoria, Dave near Houston.

Anybody else gonna be around so we can stop by and say howdy on our way through your area? We are sticking as close to the border as we can, so if you are on that track and want to shake hands and have a cup or cold one, let me know! I'll put you on the list and keep you informed of our schedule. Ride safe,

Goose

Guest tx2sturgis

Maybe I can ride to a little bar somewhere on the edge of Texas, have a cold beer, and watch yall ride by!!

:cool10:

Seriously, when you ride around the panhandle, if you want to make a detour, let me know...I have some ideas for places to eat, drink, and chase women!

What route are ya taking around the panhandle anyway? I tried opening that link but no luck.

What route are ya taking around the panhandle anyway? I tried opening that link but no luck.

You don't open the link - you have to read, and follow, the directions in my post!

Right click on it and copy the link, then open Google Maps and paste that link into the search box and click on Search Maps.

Guest tx2sturgis
You don't open the link - you have to read, and follow, the directions in my post!

Hmm...maybe you assume we all read every word you type....Sorry to bust your bubble, but I dont always read 5 paragraphs of Goose Wisdom...and follow your directions? Aint gonna happen. You can make this pretty simple....or not....what highways will see your smiling face in and around the Texas Panhandle?

Guest texasyamahamama

Hey Goose, There a great steak place in Canadian. It's on the corner of U.S. 83 and Main St. If you like bread pudding, be sure and save room for dessert. It's the best I've had anywhere. It's in an old historical hotel that's been renovated.

Jackie

Hey Goose, There a great steak place in Canadian. It's on the corner of U.S. 83 and Main St. If you like bread pudding, be sure and save room for dessert. It's the best I've had anywhere. It's in an old historical hotel that's been renovated.

Jackie

Thanx Jackie - I've got that marked on my GPS now - looks like it is called the Cattle Exchange. Don't know if we will be ready for a meal when we head through there, but it will be the prime option if we are! :thumbsup2:

Anybody else have killer places to stop on this border route? Food, biker places, whatever? All suggestions appreciated.

Goose

Guest tx2sturgis

Ok..right clicked...pasted...searched...shows red and purple lines around the state, but shows many of those lines in open country...no roads...oh well...Im still wondering if you have actual highway # or FM road# that you'll be riding on.

Im heading out for a few hundred miles and a few more days of living on the bike...still trying to become a biker...

hey goose i just wrote you a nice long note and pushed the wrong putton and lost it. any way . if you are going by or even close to clayton. let me know . i have ridden all the back roads from there to clovs and many more. I will try to meet up with you somewhere around the panhandle...:12101:

hey goose i just wrote you a nice long note and pushed the wrong putton and lost it. any way . if you are going by or even close to clayton. let me know . i have ridden all the back roads from there to clovs and many more. I will try to meet up with you somewhere around the panhandle...:12101:

Sorry you lost that post! Yup, we be going by Clayton - trying to stay within Texas, but after we touch the northwest corner of the panhandle we're just gonna run down to to Clayton and spend the night there. Love to lift a cold one with you when we get there! Our non-schedule schedule says we should be there Thursday, 3/12.

Goose

Ok..right clicked...pasted...searched...shows red and purple lines around the state, but shows many of those lines in open country...no roads...oh well...Im still wondering if you have actual highway # or FM road# that you'll be riding on.

Im heading out for a few hundred miles and a few more days of living on the bike...still trying to become a biker...

I see that computers and Google Maps are not your first language. Oh well, good that you finally got the map up anyway. Now you simply have to move the cursor over any particular point you want to see and zoom in, either by using the scroll wheel on the mouse or the graphic on the upper left side of the map. I assure you, we WILL be on roads (or something close to a road in a few places). I have looked at every inch of them in the satellite photos! We'll be riding some of the smallest roads there is, so you not gonna see them from 30,000 feet.

I do have highway numbers and Farm-to-Market road numbers (even quite a few Ranch Road numbers), but they are a closely held secret available only to real bikers. If I told you, they'd probably take away one of my wheels! Sorry. :stickpoke:

Goose

Here's a couple that are pretty good.

http://www.estherscajunseafood.com/ in Port Arthur, TX. be sure to cross that monster bridge. Its a hoot on two wheels!

http://www.catfishcabin.com/ There are two Catfish Cabins that I frequent. The one in Lumberton is excellent. Their Gumbo is marvelous. The other is in Jasper. Its pretty good too.

http://www.catfishhut.com/ in De Ridder, LA

OK folks, we are hold up tonight in Childress (right at the base of the panhandle on the eastern side). We originally expected to stop a bit further east tonight at Vernon, but with such fantastic riding weather today, temps in the 80s, we decided to push on a little further in anticipation of the nasty cold front coming through tonight. Sure enough, about 10 minutes after we started unloading the bikes at the hotel, the wind direction spun around from the south to the north and the temps immediately dropped about 20 degrees in 15 minutes! Tomorrow won't be our most comfortable day running up the eastern side of the panhandle.

We left Texarkana Monday morning, poking along the Red River in whatever dinky roads we could find. We hit a couple of dirt tracks up there, and even though the bikes handled great on the gravel, we really didn't appreciate the nasty mess, so we decided to avoid more of that stuff today. Well, no luck on that plan! In Texas, you can count on all state roads being paved (and US highways, of course). In addition, we have roads called Farm to Market and Ranch Roads which are maintained by the individual counties, but almost always paved. County roads, on the other hand, are almost NEVER paved. So I checked the tracks in my GPS to make sure all the roads were at least FM level and thought we were good. The worst stretch was about 10 miles where a FM road just magically transformed into a county road, without an intersection or anything. I didn't catch that, so when we got there it was a bit of a surprise. :starz: My brother was dragging a trailer, and there didn't seem to be any place to reasonably turn around, so we just decided totough it out. NASTY! Hard to even see what color his 07 RSV is now!!! Oh well, it is all part of the adventure.

We stopped by Nocona to say Hi to Texasyamahamama - because of the dirt road delay and thoughts about trying to push further today 'cause of the cold front, we didn't hang around long, but it was great to see her again. Sure would have been a treat if she could have hopped on her bike and gone with us!

After that, we bypassed a short bit of the border zig zagging to DD it straight to Childress and get under cover. We'll see how tomorrow dawns and how long we want to ride in the cooler temps! More to come . . .

Goose (and Cyote61)