IGNORED

Illinois Biker Down

polecat54

A motorcyclist died Wednesday from injuries he suffered in a collision with a van at 15th and Moffat streets.

The name of the 49-year-old Springfield man was not immediately released, pending notification of relatives.

The crash happened about noon Wednesday. Initial information was that a woman driving a Dodge minivan southbound on 15th Street turned left onto Moffat in front of the northbound motorcycle. The motorcyclist struck the back passenger side of the van.

Police said it appeared from the damage to the van that the motorcyclist might have been speeding when the woman turned in front of him. Investigators also were looking into whether alcohol was a factor on the part of either driver.

A small child was in the van. Neither the child nor the woman was seriously injured.

Police blocked the intersection as they investigated much of Wednesday afternoon.

The motorcycle, a black Honda GM400, was lying on its side about 20 to 30 feet north of the intersection. Clothing and blood from the motorcyclist were on the pavement nearby.

Glass and a rear bumper from the minivan were on the east side of the intersection, as was the damaged van.

I feel for his family. And to top it off they have to read this crap the paper prints. (I guess this was copied from a newspapers website.)

:soapbox: :soapbox:

The woman turns in front of the guy and they start trying to put some of the blame on the rider. Police said it appeared from the damage to the van that the motorcyclist might have been speeding when the woman turned in front of him. I guess they think a bike should just leave a chip in the paint.

Why would the 'reporter' mention the blood on the road in that article? I think they hire 'reporters' now based on whether they breathe through their mouth or not. They can't even spell or put together a meaningful sentence anymore.

The more drama they include in the reports, the more attention they draw. Just look at the news on TV today. It makes me sick! It seems that nobody in the news media reports just the facts anymore.
News? Do they still play that on TV? I wouldn't know, I haven't been able to stand watching it for years.

I was out riding in the Peoria area that day, and saw plenty of examples of motorcycles speeding. Mainly the crotch rockets. They were blasting up and down the 35mph main drag at 50+. Yes, quite often, the motorcycle IS speeding.

I didn't read from the reported copy that the story was slanted, if the cops made that assessment and the reporter noted it, it is fair game.

Hey, I ride, I don't like to see motorcycles put in bad light, but when a lot of them ride like the kids on crotch rockets, and Harley and other riders have super loud exhaust, then you reap what you sew, only in this case WE ALL (motorcycle riders) get dinged with the bad behavior of a few.

Heck at 5:30am Wednesday, it was going to be a great day, and I was woke up to the sound of a couple Harley sounding bikes making noise for miles in the country, on the way to work. Knew it was going to be a warm day, good for riding, and that the loud pip contengent was already out making MY life more miserable in more ways than one. This morning, nice and quiet with lots of fog and wet roads! :)

I was on my best behavior on my fun ride, stayed way back from cars, signaled early, took the less busy roads and enjoyed my ride.

Hey, I ride, I don't like to see motorcycles put in bad light, but when a lot of them ride like the kids on crotch rockets, and Harley and other riders have super loud exhaust, then you reap what you sew, only in this case WE ALL (motorcycle riders) get dinged with the bad behavior of a few.

Let's not oversimplify. I have "loud pipes" and I happen to love them. I honestly believe they've saved me from some difficult situations in the past but that aside I don't think my bike is any more disruptive than the people in my neighborhood who start cutting their lawn at 0600. I don't agree with people riding dangerously but other than that we are all different in what we like.

By Staff Report

THE STATE JOURNAL-REGISTER

Posted Feb 27, 2009 @ 12:59 AM

Last update Feb 27, 2009 @ 06:27 AM

A motorcyclist who died Wednesday from injuries suffered in a collision with a van was identified Thursday as Kevin Donald, 49, of Springfield.

An autopsy indicated the cause of death was a head injury, according to a press release from Sangamon County Coroner Susan Boone. An inquest will be scheduled.

The crash happened about noon Wednesday at 15th and Moffat streets. Initial information was that a woman driving a Dodge minivan south on 15th Street turned left onto Moffat in front of the northbound motorcycle. The motorcyclist struck the back side of the van.

Neither the woman nor a child also in the van was seriously injured.

No citations have been issued, Ray Serati, Springfield Police Department spokesman, said Thursday