IGNORED

Cheap alarm

5bikes

1. Get a (mercury?) tilt switch and any toggle switch, (10 amp?) I had a tilt switch laying around from Radio Shack for years. From pink wire side of the horns (or experiment), won't hurt anything, go the the toggle switch then to the tilt switch then to ground. The tilt switch will be tilted on an angle so it is off when the bike is on the side stand, but once the bike is pulled upright to ride (or be stolen) the tilt switch makes contact. Horns go off (if it is hot wired).

2. To make it work any time, just disconnect the brown wire to both horns and run a fused wire from the battery to both horns. Horns now will work anytime with the tilt switch or the horn button.

Locate switches in one of the locked side pockets of the fairing.

Very simple, very loud, very unexpected, very cheap.

May want to cover electrical connectors at the horns so they can't be disconnected.

Mercury switches maybe banned, I'm sure other types are available.

UMMM add a relay in parallel to the kick stand switch, then the bike wont run in gear too...

Most bikes are stolen by some guys physically lifting it into a van or pickup and carting it off...

I suggest you insure your bike, and be ready to take a loss if it is stolen.

I wonder what the published by the insurance industry theft rate of RSVs is compared to H-D Ultra Classics.......

• 3 weeks later...

Most bikes are stolen by some guys physically lifting it into a van or pickup and carting it off...

I would love to see 6 thieves try to pick up a 1st gen or 2nd gen and "lift it" into a van. The great part about riding a really heavy bike is they cant steal it easily.

Sure they can...

3 guys can load a full dresser in a pickup in under 2 minutes. Into a van in 3 minutes as they have to break off or remove the windshield. Remember that most bikes stolen by the pros is for parts, not a running bike as the individual parts are worth more than the assembled bike. However, some complete bikes do get shipped overseas.

Don't believe me???? Call your insurance agent or local Police force to see how you they can steel it, so you can try to prevent theft.

Are there any LEOs on the forum that would care to comment?

Another good source is HERE

A good thing for us, if you look at the Lost Ride database HERE only 6.2% of the regestered stolen bikes are Yamaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by KiteSquid

I like the idea. IMHO I think alarms, locks and other security measures are great. It can help with the average theft, those of oppertunity and "kids" taking the bike. Here in North Jersey we have more dirt bikes and quads taken then street bikes. Bikes are no different than cars. If a professional wants your bike/car he will get it. That is why he is a professional. Like any pro he will have the right tools for the job. Anything for gadgets to defeat alarms, bolt cutters to trucks with lift gates. I have found though that most are stolen by the "non-professional". People sometimes leave the keys in the bike or car and still leave thier house unlocked. So I do think they can help. It can't hurt.

Bill