IGNORED

Missing in one cylinder

Guest longrider

Guest longrider

Got a question. My bike is missing on one cylinder. Changed out the coil and the wire and of course the plug, but still have the problem. Is the ignition controlled by the computor or is there something else to check?

I would check/replace your spark plugs and wires first. If they are original they could be the problem. Easiest job first.

The controller or tci/cdi is located under the battery box. If you can remove it and check those connections and clean em up that might make it right. It is a flatish rectangular box. They are expensive to buy if you can find one and ebay ones are risky. And the 83 is a box of its own, no other year will work if memory serves me right.

Some also remove the box and dry it. They do get damp over the years and corroded.

Once cleaned up some have mounted it on top of the air filter I believe.

The coil for that cylinder could be shot too.

Got a question. My bike is missing on one cylinder. Changed out the coil and the wire and of course the plug, but still have the problem. Is the ignition controlled by the computor or is there something else to check?

As stated above, the TCI, which is located below the battery box can cause a problem. Their contacts can become corroded and cause problems. There have been a few threads on this subject, and you may want to remove the TCI, take the cover off, and let it either bake in the sun, or a low temp oven for several hours, along with cleaning the contacts. Yes, it is possible for one of the diodes to be bad causing one cylander to misfire.

I assume you checked the suspect cylander for spark and know it is an electrical problem rather than a fuel delivery problem??

Guest longrider

Thanks for the good info. I have tried some of these things but did not know aout the tci. as always good help fom you guys