IGNORED

Need Some Battery Help!!

Hey Folks, I need a little help on a 1999 RSV. I purchased it on Ebay from a dealer in FL and had it shipped to my son-in-laws in Wilton, CT. We're flying to CT next week to ride.

Here's the glitch...when the bike was dleivered, Mark inadvertently left the ignition on accessory and ran the battery down. I told him he had to remove the seat in order to gain access to the battery to charge it. The bike has an aftermarket Saddleman Road Sofa seat. Below is what he emailed me whe he tried to get the seat off.

" I have been unable to get the seat off of your bike to date. There is a bolt in the front of the seat with a nut which needs to come off but the bolt is spinning freely. The top of the bolt seems to be within the seat with no means of getting to it. I am also barely able to get to the nut so there is no way to secure the bolt while turning the nut. I will keep trying but I am beginning to lose hope. I worked on it for about two hours so far this morning."

Now, can the battery be charged from the AuxiliaryDC Jack? If so, where do I tell him to look for it and how would he goa about using it to charge the battery? I haven't even seen the bike yet, so I'm just going from what I can find on the net.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Thanks...that did it. Mark was able to locate the DC Outlet (having never seen an RSV before) and the battery is charging as we speak. WooHoo, flying to CT tomorrow, can't wait to ride! Now, can I replace the DC outlet with a cigarette lighter and use it as a lighter and a DC outlet/charger input?

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks...that did it. Mark was able to locate the DC Outlet (having never seen an RSV before) and the battery is charging as we speak. WooHoo, flying to CT tomorrow, can't wait to ride! Now, can I replace the DC outlet with a cigarette lighter and use it as a lighter and a DC outlet/charger input?

Thanks,

Jeff

The stock DC outlets are only intended for very low amp loads. If you want to use a lighter or other high amp load, you will need to disconnect the outlet from the existing wiring and run 14 AWG wire directly from the battery with an in-line fuse. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Now, can I replace the DC outlet with a cigarette lighter and use it as a lighter and a DC outlet/charger input?

Thanks,

Jeff

Not without re-wiring it with some heavier wire. It only has a 5 amp fuse and about a 16 gauge wire from the factory. Better to run a switched relay off of the battery too so that you're not putting all that power through the stock ignition switch.

As far as getting your seat off. You may have to do some surgery to get at the head of the bolt to hold it from turning. Sounds like somebody over tightened the nuts and caused the bolts/studs to loosen up.

Somebody is always selling stock seats if you have to butcher up the one you have.