IGNORED

Broke down in Sault St. Marie - Help

1984 Venture Standard.

My charging system failed when I got to the Soo Thurs night. I had to leave the bike there and am now in Minneapolis for the weekend.

I have no output from the voltage regulator and think its bad. The stator puts out 5 volts AC at idle and 10 volts at 2000rpm on all 3 coils. I checked the connectors and the diode check on the regulator is OK.

1. Do these readings on the stator sound OK?

2. Where can I get a Voltage Reg fast between Minneapolis and Sault ST.Marie? Does anyone have 1 I can buy? It will take 3 days from the dealer.

My battery is a year old and charged OK from a charger. The bike starts and runs except for charging.

PEIslander,

You need to check AC voltage at the connector to the rectifier. The connector is found under the seat on the same side as the stator (left side). Three white wires come from the stator. You should check each pair for AC voltage readings. Your actual numbers may be slightly different but the principle is the same. The higher the RPM the higher the output and all 3 pairs should be identical.

Mine looks like this:

@1000 RPM

A&B=18.6 VAC

A&C=18.6 VAC

B&C=18.6 VAC

@2000 RPM

A&B=31.2 VAC

A&C=31.2 VAC

B&C=31.2 VAC

@3250 RPM

A&B=47 VAC

A&C=47 VAC

B&C=47 VAC

Any variance at one pair and it means your stator is shot.:crying:

Thomas

Midicat, and others

What kind of meter are you using? The readings I have are 5Vac at idle, and about 10Vac at 2000 rpm using a digital meter on AC volts. I get the same values on all 3 coils at the connector with it disconnected from the regulator. Maybe I need to be looking for a stator too!

Right now the bike is in a compound in Sault St Marie and I am in Minneapolis till Monday. I need to get parts ordered but it will probably be Monday before I can do that.

PEIslander,

You need to check AC voltage at the connector to the rectifier. The connector is found under the seat on the same side as the stator (left side). Three white wires come from the stator. You should check each pair for AC voltage readings. Your actual numbers may be slightly different but the principle is the same. The higher the RPM the higher the output and all 3 pairs should be identical.

Mine looks like this:

@1000 RPM

A&B=18.6 VAC

A&C=18.6 VAC

B&C=18.6 VAC

@2000 RPM

A&B=31.2 VAC

A&C=31.2 VAC

B&C=31.2 VAC

@3250 RPM

A&B=47 VAC

A&C=47 VAC

B&C=47 VAC

Any variance at one pair and it means your stator is shot.:crying:

Thomas

dO YOU CHECK THOSE PHASE TO PHASE OR PHASE TO GROUND ?

(DANG caps lock)

I've been wondering about that.

It sounds like the stator may be the problem, it's not making enough voltage to convert to a dc level for batery charging. That's where I would start.

I think i have heard on here before that the stator could cause the rectifier/regulator to go bad if it is bad,but i dont know if that would be the case here.........................:confused24:

Fixit,

Those readings are phase to phase. There is no ground connection at the stator.

Anyway good news on my dilemma. Old Iron Rider from St.Paul put me in contact with a guy that has the stator and Regulator on an 83 he's parting out. I just finished talking with him and will pick them up Monday on my way back to Canada. He's parting it due to 2nd gear and is sure the electrical parts are good.

Fixit,

Those readings are phase to phase. There is no ground connection at the stator.

Anyway good news on my dilemma. Old Iron Rider from St.Paul put me in contact with a guy that has the stator and Regulator on an 83 he's parting out. I just finished talking with him and will pick them up Monday on my way back to Canada. He's parting it due to 2nd gear and is sure the electrical parts are good.

Good Deal. Be sure and let us know the end of this delima.

I didn't read this thread before now since your thread title said your were in Sault St. Marie. There are a few 1st gen riders here in the Twin Cities. Black Owl being one that has torn his bike apart and rebuilt it a few times. He may even have a few parts left over. Not sure though.

Seems to be a common problem with the 83 and 84. My friend has an 85 and had no trouble with charging system. I had an 83 and had all kinds of trouble. I would suggest you get a spare regulator and stater to have on hand. The stater seems to get to hot and shorts out(at lest mine was doing that). Good luck, hope you get it fixed.

Terry

Picked up the stator and Voltage reg from Doug in St.Paul on Monday. Got the bike on Tuesday and changed the voltage regulator and it still wouldn't charge. Pulled it over on the lawn behind the hotel and laid it down on the right side and removed the left engine cover and changed the stator. Put it all together and started it up and voila the voltage was up to 14.5 volts and all is well. Left for PEI at noon on tuesday and got here after midnight on Wednesday. Did over 900 miles weds, which was too much but wanted to get home.

Thanks to all who gave advice and special thanks to Old Iron Rider who gave me the lead on the used parts.

I'm glad to hear you're home safe.

Picked up the stator and Voltage reg from Doug in St.Paul on Monday. Got the bike on Tuesday and changed the voltage regulator and it still wouldn't charge. Pulled it over on the lawn behind the hotel and laid it down on the right side and removed the left engine cover and changed the stator. Put it all together and started it up and voila the voltage was up to 14.5 volts and all is well. Left for PEI at noon on tuesday and got here after midnight on Wednesday. Did over 900 miles weds, which was too much but wanted to get home.

Thanks to all who gave advice and special thanks to Old Iron Rider who gave me the lead on the used parts.

Guest Old Iron Rider

I too am glad you made it home safe. 900 is alot to do in a day. Glad it all work out and I'm happy I could help.