IGNORED

Venturing out into a full time riding career

Dragonslayer

My whole adult life I've been struggling with the question of what I wanted to do when I grew up. Now at the young age of 53 I think I finally know. Yesterday I sealed the deal on a new job which I am hoping will finally put me there.

Ever since I got back from my Sturgis trip things have been kinda slow. The projects I've been working on either got completed or petered out right before Thanksgiving and things have been at dead stop since November. Being idle and considering the lousy weather we've been having I have been wrestling with my mental and financial health warding off cabin fever and slow cash flow issues. In the mean time doing my "What Do I Want To Be When I Grow Up" exercises.

These exercises pretty much involves making a list of the components of the perfect job and then develop a strategy to find that job and get hired for it. My list pretty much read like this:

I want a job that requires me to do the following:

1. Ride my motorcycle
  2. Travel to meet other people involved with Motorcycling.
  3. Conduct business with people who had motorcycling on their minds, for fun and profit.
  4. Attending, covering and participating in motorcycling rides, gatherings and events.
  5. Writing about those places, people and events I experienced while doing my job.
  6. Getting paid for doing all of the foregoing.
  7. Work with other people with similar interest and values.

I did not want to have a job where :

1. I had to be stuck inside all the time.
  2. I had a set schedule or routine that forced me to combat rush hour traffic daily.
  3. I was required to wear a coat and tie everyday.
  4. My pay did not represent the effectiveness of my efforts.

IMPORTANT LIFE LESSON HERE;

Once you decide and can visualize what you want in life, point your nose in that direction and follow it. Eventually you will find what your looking for.

So Yesterday, I spent several hours with Jerry McDaniel Owner/Editor of Thunder Roads Magazine of Georgia and as of today will be working for him as a Field Representative for his magazine.

Being a field rep includes all of the foregoing but, mostly seeking out Motorcycle friendly businesses in Georgia and enticing them into advertising in the magazine. So, if any of you out there, especially North Georgia members know of any Georgia motorcycle friendly businesses who would like to increase their exposure in the Georgia Motorcycling community through direct market advertising in Thunder Roads Magazine, send me an e-mail and a lead. I'll take all the help I can get to get a fast jump off the line. And do appreciate it.

Or, If you have any event anouncements you would like included in the magazine, give me a shout.

Edited by Dragonslayer

Or, If you have any event anouncements you would like included in the magazine, give me a shout.

We're having a Meet & Greet in Fort Erie Ontario on March 14 2009, Does that help????

And then Marcarl's Meet & Greet on th 23rd of May in Brantford Ontario,,,that should be world renown by this time..

Congrats on your new employ, hope it's all you thought it might be.

Carl

The funny thing about making a job out of something you like to do and getting paid for it, it takes all the fun out of it. It's happened to me. I hope it doesn't happen to you.

I hope not too.But, I can understand how that can happen. I quess it will be up to me to keep it fun by the way I approach and live the assignment. I really haven't been looking at this in that way. I have been visualizing this as a dream come true. But, Time will tell. Perspective is everything.

Congratulations on your new careet path. I might be interested in buying an ad in the magazine. I own an insurance agency that specializes in motorcycle insurance. You can send me an email or call me at 877-809-5958 and we can discuss. Good Luck! Eddie (eidddy) Hall

Congratulations on your new careet path. I might be interested in buying an ad in the magazine. I own an insurance agency that specializes in motorcycle insurance. You can send me an email or call me at 877-809-5958 and we can discuss. Good Luck! Eddie (eidddy) Hall
Great I'll call you and e-mail some info. Thanks

BOB AFTER MEETING YOU AT THE LAST M&E YOU WILL DO A GOOD JOB AND WITH ALL THE NICE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE YOU WILL GET SOME GOOD HELP.I WILL TRY TO COME UP WITH SOME INFO HERE IN CENTRAL GA.

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US INFORMED ON HOW IT IS GOING.:080402gudl_prv:

Sounds GREAT. I would love to do something like that. I've very happy for you and now maybe you can get them to do a story on VentureRider. :)

Don,

I'm a step ahead of you, I've already planted the seed yesterday and an article on Venturerider.org is the first article Idea i'm gonna pitch. The great thing about Thunder Roads magazine is that they have a policy that magazine content has to be 50/50 ads and articles. Unlike some of the others that fill up with ads only. And since I plan on selling a lot of ads there should be plenty of page space for feature articles.

I'll keep you posted on the progress. I made a few cold calls today and received receptive responses. It felt natural for me making the calls and I had a good time and a nice ride in 50 degree plus sunny weather. I really think I'm gonna like this.

BOB AFTER MEETING YOU AT THE LAST M&E YOU WILL DO A GOOD JOB AND WITH ALL THE NICE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE YOU WILL GET SOME GOOD HELP.I WILL TRY TO COME UP WITH SOME INFO HERE IN CENTRAL GA.

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US INFORMED ON HOW IT IS GOING.:080402gudl_prv:

Thanks Ricky, I appreciate the help and support. Mark off April 13 thru 16th off you calendar for the 10th Aniversary of the magazine Biker party event weekend at Angel City Biker venue in Unadilla, Ga just south of Perry off I-75.