IGNORED

Almost ran over a guy.

Venturous Randy

This evening at about 6:30, Laura and I decided to ride out in the cage and get a bite to eat. We were driving on a four lane city street that has a divided island except for an occasional turn through to the left. The speed limit is 40mph. We were going to be making a right turn at an intersection and there is a turning lane that is several hundred feet long. Before this one, there is another turning lane that goes into a small business district, but it ends and goes back to two lanes for just a hundred feet or so. The problem is when a person turns into the first turning lane, meaning to turn into the second.

This area of the street is marginally lit with street lights and when I was coming up to the turn lane, I hesitated for a second to make sure I was not going into the first one. As I looked forward from checking the mirror, I realized I was about to hit a guy that was walking across the street, at least 200 feet from the intersection in dark clothes and absolutely oblivious to oncoming traffic. I barely missed him and realized that if I had not hesitated for a second or two to go into the turning lane, I may have centered him at about 25mph. It scared the crap out of me. He did not seem to get in any hurry to get out of the street.

It just made me realize how quickly our lives can change, even when we think we are doing things the right way.

RandyA

So true Randy... but had to chuckle after reading your story... just below your signature you have "Act as though you are invisable, not invincible." That guy was just following your rule and was nearly invisable... broke the other rule though and thought he was invincible :whistling:.

Kinda wakes a guy up in a hurry huh!!! Could it be that the guy thought you were going to go into the first turn lane and figured it was safe to walk? Hope ya blasted your horn at him and woke him up! Some people (pedestrians) just seem to figure that they have the right of way...no matter what and the vehicle driver should just stop for them regardless.

Some people (pedestrians) just seem to figure that they have the right of way...no matter what and the vehicle driver should just stop for them regardless.

And some are so doped up they don't give a damn about where they are or what they're doing....

"Some people (pedestrians) just seem to figure that they have the right of way...no matter what and the vehicle driver should just stop for them regardless."

This seems to be true everywhere, even parking lots. Eventually, the pedestrians learn they are not coming out of a collision with a moving vehicle on the positive side. They usually find out just how sensitive they really are, their feelings seem to get hurt whether you honk at em or hit em.:confused24:

"Some people (pedestrians) just seem to figure that they have the right of way...no matter what and the vehicle driver should just stop for them regardless."

This seems to be true everywhere, even parking lots. Eventually, the pedestrians learn they are not coming out of a collision with a moving vehicle on the positive side. They usually find out just how sensitive they really are, their feelings seem to get hurt whether you honk at em or hit em.:confused24:

so, you're suggesting we hit 'em and honk afterwards? RIGHT ON BRO! :thumbsup2:

:sign just kidding:

Once a pedestrian steps off the curb they do have the right of way and the cagers are supposed to stop. I ain't saying it is right I am just saying that is the way it is at least in Minnesota.

That doesn't make the pedestrian very responsible for their action if they cross in the middle of the street.

Quick reactions there Randy, and thank God you did miss them.

Been there, did that, bought the T shirt!