IGNORED

Another Road King Muffler Question

V-4 Vendetta

I know...I know another RK Muffler question. I just wanted to check on something. I just got a very nice set of slash-cut Road King mufflers. They are off a 1998 model. Serial Numbers are: 65546-98 and 65547-98. From my reading here and other forums I understand that these will not contain the catalytic converter. However, when peering though the mufflers I noticed that I can see through the 65547-98 through a small center hole down in the muffler. I cannot see through the 65546-98. Is this normal or is there a problem with the one I can't see through?

I've read a number of posts about drilling out the RK mufflers but am still not clear on this... do you drill out both ends or just the "aft" end?

anyone?

ps... I just got a set myself and have the same small hole in only one muffler...you can see it from the outlet end.

bringing this back to the forefront as nobody has responded to my Q.

:crying:

Which side has the hole in it?? If it's the left side it's there to equal the flow and back pressure as the right side has more exhaust flow. The right side has both cylinders exhaust.

You should only see a small hole if they are stock, maybe 1/8" and it wouldn't take much to cover it up best I can remember. I recommend you try them stock before drilling, the Boss thought they were to loud drilled out.

there should be alot of posts on the RK mufflers.

Gary

• 1 month later...

I installed a set on my 05 rsv I do recall being able to see though both(a very small hole). As for drilling them out, it all depends on how loud you want them to be. I tried them stock and their was not much difference from the stock rsv mufflers. then i dilled out the front, for me it was still not enough so i drilled out the back bingo.

Guest tx2sturgis

To even out the sound of the two sides, HD has to make the baffling different in the left and right sides, since on a stock bike, the right side carries more of the exhaust flow.

Guys you can take a dermal tools with a cut off, stick it up the end of the stock rsv mufflers, make the cut as deep as you can reach with the cut off tool shaft. all the way around the tube, then simple pry the tube to one side, they sound great.

Not too loud, but give a good glass pack sound on accelleration.

I love mine take about an hour to do, you will need a pack of the dremel cut off wheels, they are easy to brake.

They sound way better than the harley mufflers, matter of fact as friend of mine is looking for a set off of a tour deluxe for his electra glide.

try it you will like it.

Gregg