IGNORED

Front fork trouble?

Today I was taken apart the front forks on my 83 RSV to replace seals and springs. I was following steps I printed from this site. When it came time to remove hex bolts at the bottom of each fork I turned and turned and got nowhere. I looked down inside the fork from the top and had someone turn the bolt. I could see the inside of the fork tube turning with the bolt. It turned hard so my question is. If I use a impact gun will this get the bolts out? I have the use of an impact saturday but wanted to ask the question before I tried. I see in the pictures I printed out from this site that a impact was used. Just don't want to ruin anything....Thanks.

Edited by KarlS
correct word

Howdy ic23b.

There are a couple of schools on this one. I'm sure more guys will chime in here shortly.

You can use a section of wooden dowel (I like hardwood) long enough to go in through the top of the fork tube and apply pressure to the inner wroking to hold it in place. I get it into place then jam the dowel against something solid to hold it tight. Then you can remove the lower bolts without much trouble. Then again you can pop it out with an impact gun without doing this also.

The catch is you are NOT going to want to use an impact to reinstall it. Way too much to fast for reinstalling the bolts.

Now once you have it apart it's pretty easy to see how everything goes and a lot of guys make their own tool out of metal stock to hold the inside workings when reassmbly time comes along. It's a great thing to have handy the next time around. If you are lucky you can reassemble the forks using the wooden dowel. Having an extra pair of hands is great so you and focus on starting the bolts and setting them to specs. You can do a lot of damage by over tightening these bolts.

If using the wood be sure to rinse out the tubes when you are done to remove any wood chips or shaving before mounting them back on the bike.

buy 4 ea. 15/16 Nuts. and about 2 feet of threaded Rod Stock. Most any hardware store will have it.

Lock two nuts together on each end of the Rod. ( also you can then weld the Nuts into place ) Use this to Hold the Inside part in place while removeing and re-installing the lower Bolts . Works like a charm.

buy 4 ea. 15/16 Nuts. and about 2 feet of threaded Rod Stock. Most any hardware store will have it.

Lock two nuts together on each end of the Rod. ( also you can then weld the Nuts into place ) Use this to Hold the Inside part in place while removeing and re-installing the lower Bolts . Works like a charm.

YEP!! That'll do it.

If I understand right after putting the nuts on each end I insert one end into the housing and hold it with the other end while removing and tighten the bolt. And this will not damage the inside of the tube?