IGNORED

RSTD RepairPro manual?

Has anyone bought the RepairPro RSTD Service Repair Manual? I see them on eBay (like this current one) and wonder how well done it is.

I have that other eBay manual, the Yamaha Service Manual in PDF, and I don't like it. It lacks certain information I'd think would be covered (recommended oil grade and filter size?). I'm hoping this CD-based thing will be better. Is it?

It lacks certain information I'd think would be covered (recommended oil grade and filter size?). I'm hoping this CD-based thing will be better. Is it?

Oil grade is actually listed very clearly in the manual. The oil grade is in chapter two, page two (2-2) under "General Specifications". They do not give a certain type number for the oil filter but only state that it is a paper filter type. The reason is most likely that there are so many different manufacturers of filters with different type number systems. All one has to do is to go to a Yamaha shop or any shop that specialices in filters and ask for a filter for this specific bike. The manufacturer of the filter should have it listed by bike/engine type.

I have used this manual thoroughly and it is issued by Yamaha so I doubt there is another better one. But you could check with the nearest Yamaha Dealer and ask them what they use in their workshop since most of them offer shop manuals for sale by order. At least my dealer in Warren Ohio does "yamahaofwarren.com". But it might be the same one as they are selling on cd´s on the internet or by Acrobat files. Actually I think that these manuals offered on eBay are the same manuals (the Cd´s and the Acrobats)even though I am not sure.

I am sure that some member on this site knows if this is the actual shop manual the repair shops at the dealers use or if there is another more thorough version available. Lets see if anyone comes through on this thread. Would like to know this myself even though this manual is quite sufficient for me.

Just my two cents worth.

Oil grade is actually listed very clearly in the manual. The oil grade is in chapter two, page two (2-2) under "General Specifications". They do not give a certain type number for the oil filter but only state that it is a paper filter type. The reason is most likely that there are so many different manufacturers of filters with different type number systems. All one has to do is to go to a Yamaha shop or any shop that specialices in filters and ask for a filter for this specific bike. The manufacturer of the filter should have it listed by bike/engine type.

I have used this manual thoroughly and it is issued by Yamaha so I doubt there is another better one. But you could check with the nearest Yamaha Dealer and ask them what they use in their workshop since most of them offer shop manuals for sale by order. At least my dealer in Warren Ohio does "yamahaofwarren.com". But it might be the same one as they are selling on cd´s on the internet or by Acrobat files. Actually I think that these manuals offered on eBay are the same manuals (the Cd´s and the Acrobats)even though I am not sure.

I am sure that some member on this site knows if this is the actual shop manual the repair shops at the dealers use or if there is another more thorough version available. Lets see if anyone comes through on this thread. Would like to know this myself even though this manual is quite sufficient for me.

Just my two cents worth.

You are right about them listing the Engine Oil. I'm going to go ahead and blame Acrobat Reader, since it did not find "10W" "20W" or "SAE", which are listed right there in the General Specifications. (Mine is on page 2-1) It is also listed on page 3-22 with the "checking oil level" instructions. I apologize for bashing the manual, but I did seek and didn't find.

I guess I am not so much unhappy with the service manual as wondering if the RepairPro manuals offer something complimentary.

• 2 weeks later...

...........................................I am really not sure which one you are talking about, but I have the Yamaha Manual # Lit-11616-RY-LO. The first time I opened it, it all fell apart. I had to punch holes in it, and use a "LARGE" ring binder. If I had seen it open, I would have never bought it. It leaves a lot to be desired. Yes, it is helpfull, but it skips a lot of steps, and most of them I have to figure out for myself. It has 9 sections and is about an inch thick. I hope this helps............

...........................................I am really not sure which one you are talking about, but I have the Yamaha Manual # Lit-11616-RY-LO. The first time I opened it, it all fell apart. I had to punch holes in it, and use a "LARGE" ring binder. If I had seen it open, I would have never bought it. It leaves a lot to be desired. Yes, it is helpfull, but it skips a lot of steps, and most of them I have to figure out for myself. It has 9 sections and is about an inch thick. I hope this helps............

The one I was asking about is a CD, looks like. I have the one you are talking about (I think) that I bought off eBay as a downloaded PDF.