IGNORED

Calling all former smokers

TATERS

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Told this before, but I don't mind repeating. Feb. of 2006....got a little sore throat. By Monday I was in a bad way; I have COPD (didn't know that at the time) and sore throat was now a deep chest cold bordering on pneumonia. I walk 15-20 feet and I'm gasping for air and can't get any. At the Doctor they hook me up to a couple of IVs (one of steroids and the other of antibiotics), afterward sent me home with a couple of expensive prescriptions. Over the weekend leading up to the Monday AM trip to the Doctor, I couldn't lay down, couldn't walk, couldn't sleep except sitting in a chair with a pillow propping my chin up. After several serious conversations with God, I finally "made a deal"! I told Him, If He would cut me some slack and let me get through it, I would promise to never put another one to my lips. He did, so I haven't had one since. I see it as one of those bargains you just don't go back on, if you have any sense at all. He helped me again by me not having any real withdrawl to deal with or any real lingering desire to fire up. I have to say, under the circumstances as scary & painful as it was, I am most thankful for the whole experience.

So, I guess I can say I quit smoking, cold turkey "sorta" after about 40 years of 1-2 packs a day (Pall Malls starting out, Marlboro Regulars the last 30 or so years).

I spent 39 bucks and got hypnotized in 1990. Walked out and threw away a carton of kools. Was a 2.5 pack a day smoker before that since 72. Best money I ever spent. Saved enough each month to go out and buy a new car with that money. And it wasn't a cheap car.

I quit exactly the same way back in '91.

Art

I actually had to quit twice, first time I quit a 2 pack a day habit for about 12 years, got divorced and stupid :doh:started up again. Quit again about 3 years later , that was in 1987.

Never looked back after the second time, never had the urge to start again.

Quit cold turkey both times.