IGNORED

Hubless Motorcycle

ibents

Guest tx2sturgis

Saw one of those at Sturgis several years ago. This little skinny guy crawled right thru the opening....just havin fun I guess.

Billy Lane did one or two "hubless" rear wheels. It's actually more like a big open hub. The drive chain goes around the outside of it.

Yes that is one of Billys bikes, that one debuted at the Iron Horse in Daytona somewhere around 2005.

Leave it to an Aerospace Engineer to come up with something outlandish like that.

Too bad hes serving time !!

Saw one of those at Sturgis several years ago. This little skinny guy crawled right thru the opening....just havin fun I guess.

I actually did that TX!! The "rim" on these hubless wheels are acutally a bearing race and the interier of the rim where your spokes would normally attach is the ID of the bearing,,, pretty cool really!! The only functional downfall that I could see (and I checked it out very closely at Sturgis) was that the way the secondary drive sprocket/sheeve has to protrude from the side in order to work - it has to be the same size as the hub(bearing race) - this makes it VERY close to the surface you are riding on.. I showed that to another builder who was there and he says "so?".. I then said,, ok,, picture this,, your riding along and your in a corner - a rock is in the road and it manages to get between the secondary and the pavement - again he says "so".. Then I said, did you ever try to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk without tires when you were a kid???..... He says,, oh yea - that wouldnt be nice would it... :223:

'Puc

Yes that is one of Billys bikes, that one debuted at the Iron Horse in Daytona somewhere around 2005.

Leave it to an Aerospace Engineer to come up with something outlandish like that.

Too bad hes serving time !!

I don't think he's served any time yet... Last I heard they just threw a new set of charges at him...

http://www.floridatoday.com/graphics/mastlogo.gif

January 6, 2009

Bike builder faces additional felony charge

BY KEYONNA SUMMERS

FLORIDA TODAY Prosecutors have filed an additional felony charge against famed motorcycle builder Billy Lane, court records show.

Lane, 38, was charged two years ago with one count of DUI manslaughter in connection with a Labor Day 2006 traffic accident in which 56-year-old Sebastian Inlet park ranger Gerald Morelock died.

Police said Lane’s blood-alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit when he crossed a double yellow line to pass several cars near Melbourne Beach, striking Morelock’s motorcycle head-on.

DUI manslaughter is a second-degree felony, punishable by up to 15 years in prison.

However, the Brevard state attorney’s office has filed an alternative charge of vehicular homicide, also a second-degree felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison.

Prosecutor Tom Brown said he filed the charge in response to a November hearing, during which Lane’s attorneys withdrew their bid to bar trial testimony about the blood evidence and said they would instead raise the issue at trial.

DUI manslaughter requires proof that the defendant caused or contributed to the crash and had an unlawful blood-alcohol level, while vehicular homicide simply requires proof of reckless driving.

Once the defendant waives their right to speedy trial, there is a three-year statute of limitations on filing charges against him or her, Brown said.

“This issue (about the admissibility of the blood evidence) will not be resolved until trial so we have gone forth with the added charge,” Brown said.

Brown said filing the vehicular homicide charge, which requires the state to prove Lane was driving recklessly but does not include a drug or alcohol element, ensures prosecutors are able to proceed at trial, no matter the judge’s ruling on the blood evidence.

“We are preparing for all eventualities at trial,” he said.

Lane’s defense attorney, Greg Eisenmenger, said he doesn’t believe there’s any basis for either charge filed against his client.

“It came as somewhat of a surprise to see something like this filed so late in the game,” he said.

“This is a tragic accident that doesn’t rise to the level of willful and wanton reckless driving,” Eisenmenger said of the new charge. “And there’s significant issues whether Mr. Lane was under the influence of anything at the time of the accident.”

Lane’s trial is set for Feb. 9.