IGNORED

Question on passing lamps

I'm getting a set of the yamaha passing lamps soon. My question is this...I've read a lot of posts where you use a relay to hook them up. Is there a reason not to hook them up the way Yamaha says to?? Does it cause a problem if you don't use the relay??? :confused24:I understand that by using a relay you isolate the circuit and reduce the load on the headlight circuit.... and I'm sure that's better, but is it necessary??? Thanks folks....I'm sure someone will clear this up for me.

Separating the passing lamps from the headlights assures that if there is a problem you will still have light to get home.

Much better to have them separate. Using a relay is very easy as well. I recommend it.

Bob

Exactly right. I have been riding at night and had them blow the fuse. Lost ALL lights. I immediately isolated them. Mine were wired the way Yamaha calls for, not anymore.

Use a Relay, for Any added accessory. !!!

( consider that a Rule of Thumb )

Also, wire up One of the Two Tail light bulbs to a different Circuit, with Seperate fuse. If the " Tail Light " fuse blows, for any reason, you still have at least one

tail light burning.

• 8 months later...

Hey guys -

I just had my official Star Passing Lamps installed at the Dealership. As with others, they wired it (probably according to the instructions) so that the Lamps go OFF when the High Beam is used. Is there an EASY fix for this that may be clearly explained to a novice? Is there any reason WHY one would want the lights to go off on High Beam? To save juice? THANKS,

TE

I have no idea why they wire them to go off with high beams. And even with the use of a relay you can still load up a circuit, depending on where you get power from. Being an electrician, this is why I prefer the relay: The passing lamps pull about 10 amps of current and the switch that comes with the kit is not the best switch in the world. It is probably only rated for 10 amps which will load the switch to 100% of its capacity. If you use a relay, the only power going through the switch that came with the kit is what is feeding the coil in the relay...very low current draw. I pulled power for my lamps straight from the battery with a fused circuit. I pulled the power for the switch which feeds the coil in the relay from the aux plug. That way when I turn the ignition switch off with lamps on, they go out and I don't run the risk of leaving them on draining the battery. YOu could buy a heavy duty switch and pull power straight from the battery (using a fuse) and go straight through the switch and don't use the relay but your lamps will not turn on and off with the ignition switch, they will only work with the lamp switch. Give me a call ...number is listed in the members area and I will be glad to walk you through it

Hey guys -

I just had my official Star Passing Lamps installed at the Dealership. As with others, they wired it (probably according to the instructions) so that the Lamps go OFF when the High Beam is used. Is there an EASY fix for this that may be clearly explained to a novice? Is there any reason WHY one would want the lights to go off on High Beam? To save juice? THANKS,

TE

I'll tell ya ONE thing, the idiot who wired MY highway lights oughta be shot and hung out to dry.. damn near killed me when a short took out all of my lights and the only thing that saved me from kissing that guard rail was quick thinking of hitting the 4 way flashers!

Highway lights, for me anyway, aren't that great a way to illuminate the road ahead of you, but do a great deal to light up the sides closer to you and ahead a bit, to spot critters and such.. however the best benefit they have is to give you that one great big blob of light appearance to oncoming traffic.. makes you more noticeable. So why turn them off with the high beam coming on? weird..

I'm going to have mine re-wired onto their own circuit so that if they or the headlight goes out, I don't lose 'everything' again..

Mine are spotlights (not fog-lights) so my preference is for them to be on with the high-beams only (While increased visibility during the day is a good thing, a blinded cage or truck coming at me is not exactly something I want to face at night). I'm going to pick up a new switch so that I can wire these up to give me three options; 'always off', 'switched with headlight as desired', 'on all the time, regardless of headlight operation'.