Ok. It finally happened. My rear shock has left a 8 inch circle of light oil stain on the garage floor. Even can see a drop hanging on the bottom of the shock.

Here are my questions:

1) Does this mean my shock has failed?

2) Can it still be ridden? 1 up? 2 up?

3) Is replacement covered under warranty?

Thanks to all those that can help answer my questions.

Jay

Question number one.

Yes it is failing.

Number two.

It can be ridden but you must be careful, when mine failed I rode it about 10 miles to the dealer and it was a bouncing ball type ride. And it bottomed out several times. I don't think I would ride it 2 up.

Number three.

Yes, warranty issue. Supposedly you will get an upgraded shock. They have changed the design and the newer one is suppose to be better and last longer.

Good Luck,

Jerry

i rode mine two seasons 1 up and2 up after the oil leaked out, i just replaced it a few weeks ago and yes yamaha covered the shock even though my bike was out of warranty, i replaced it myself and the only thing i noticed differant was the vent tube.:080402gudl_prv:

Rode the bike up to my dealer and they can't get me in to fix the shock until 8/7. It did seem a little rougher riding, but really not bad. He said it would keep getting worse though. So looks like I'm going to have to cancel a few rides :crying:till I get it fixed.

I just found the same thing on my '99 the other day when I was up undernieth it taking the bad coil out. Think there is a chance they would replace it off of a '99 for free .99?

One of the posts above said they replace a 2000 out of warranty. :whistling:

If not, how much would one of these run me if I put it in myself?:confused24:

I just found the same thing on my '99 the other day when I was up undernieth it taking the bad coil out. Think there is a chance they would replace it off of a '99 for free .99?

One of the posts above said they replace a 2000 out of warranty. :whistling:

If not, how much would one of these run me if I put it in myself?:confused24:

Got mine from these people about this time last year. http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/default.asp

Just looked they show a price of $368.14 :mo money:plus shipping. I believe this price is about $3.00 higher than I paid last year. Shipping cost me about $22.00 to Amarillo last year. I put mine on myself. Actual time for me to take off the old one and put the new one on was about 1 1/2 hours, and I don't clam to be anything but a shade tree mechanic at best.:Avatars_Gee_George: Little hard to get to the top bolt of the shock. You have to take both side of the passenger foot rest off and the black covers. But you don't have to remove the rear wheel nor the rear fender like some repair manuals state. Hardest thing was trying to find where to mount the overflow tube since there was not any instructions that came with the shock.:scratchchin:

Here is another thread that talked about shock options.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2614