IGNORED

Strange weather facts

friesman

I was listening to the national Weather on CBC radio this morning and heard a strange statement or two.

The first was that my city Of Regina SK. Canada was colder this morning than the temp at the north pole. Something is really messed up with a weather pattern when I am in a minus 33c deepfreeze and the north pole is only minus 24c.

The other fact that surprised me that it looks like this year will be the first year since 1971 that Canadians from east coast to west coast will be having a snow on-the-ground White Christmas.

I figured that Canada was snowy around Christmas a LOT more often than that.

CMON GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!

Brian

Edited by friesman

I was listening to the national Weather on CBC radio this morning and heard a strange statement or two.

The first was that my city Of Regina SK. Canada was colder this morning than the temp at the north pole. Something is really messed up with a weather pattern when I am in a minus 33c deepfreeze and the north pole is only minus 24c.

The other fact that surprised me that it looks like this year will be the first year since 1971 that Canadians from east coast to west coast will be having a snow on-the-ground White Christmas.

I figured that Canada was snowy around Christmas a LOT more often than that.

CMON GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!

Brian

Here in Vancouver we don't get snow that lasts...it can come down heavy one day and be gone 2 days later. I can't remember from one year to the next if we have a white xmas or not ... what I do know is that we've recently recorded the coldest temp in 40 years, that the cold weather has lasted much, much longer than usual, and for me to have to scrape the driveway 2 times in a day and then again the next morning is definately not normal. I was unable to drive my truck to the Skytrain station to get to work coz I was stuck in a foot of snow on our street. We had to walk 3 blocks in that to the bus stop.

Forecast for xmas day is plus 4 and rain... it will be a real mess!

I was just thinking of how much of a mess thats gonna be when it melts! When I lived there it snowed a couple of times and basically shut down the city. And when it melts.....with the amount of snow you've had....take a canoe with you!

Surprisingly people seem to be getting around OK. The amount of snow we've had in total over the past few days is still less than I've seen it come down here in one big dump. I've only had one accident in my life and that was in 1969 when I lived here...it snowed about 1.5 ft overnight and I had to drive from New Westminster to North Vancouver in a Chevvy Vega ...snow tires??... forget that! ... well I made it all the way to the Second Narrows bridge and as I was going down the North side of the bridge, I had to change lanes to take an off-ramp. The buildup of snow between the lanes threw me into a skid and as I tried to correct it, it spun me the other way and I hit the median going sideways. I was the only car on the North lanes....on the other side of the median, there must have been 100 cars stopped....and they were all watching me slippin and slidin and smashing into that median LOL. I creamed the front of that Vega pretty good but still managed to make it to my destination. Now THAT was a snowfall that brought the city to a halt!...but stupid people (me included) continued to try driving. You can't imagine how many cars & trucks were in the ditches and stuck on the side of the street and stuck trying to make it up hills...and I passed all of them!

Back about 78 we had a real freeze. The lake in front of the house froze so thick there were cars driving on it. My pipes froze and I was chopping through the ice to get water. It was over a foot thick and the hole would freeze up 2-3 inches overnight. Haven't seen it like that since. There is a real difference between dry snow which they get inland and the wet stuff we get on the coast. You can easily drive in the dry stuff but the wet stuff is like grease.

Hey Rick there is an upside to you guys having some snow this winter and that is all that shovelling will have you in great shape to get some serious riding done when it melts.

That cardio workout has gotta make it easier to sit on that bike for hours at a time doesnt it?

You see thats another reason I dont mind the cold, when it gets below minus 30 its too cold to snow as the air cant hold any humidity and the weather is usually bright and sunny. So as much as I ***** about the cold I still prefer it to shovelling. We only have about 3 inches on ground.

Brian:stirthepot::stirthepot:

That cardio workout has gotta make it easier to sit on that bike for hours at a time doesnt it?

Brian, I can think of ONE "cardio workout" that I much prefer to any other and it definately doesn't involve cold & snow :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

And yes, right after shovelling that snow, I went into my garage and sat on my scoot...dreaming of warmer days while I sipped on a hot buttered rum!

You all would get a big kick out of us when it snows in the south. We usually get to see snow about one time per year and then it's only an inch or so that doesn't last but a day or two. As soon as the weather channel starts predicting snow, business start closing down, grocery stores run out of milk and bread. Schools start announcing closings and factories shut down. It's like the whole world stops and everyone goes home for the "big snow". The schools even have "snow days" built into their schedule so they can close a day or two whenever it snows. Since it only snows once per year, it isn't economically wise for towns to purchase salt/sand spreaders and snow plows. We don't get enough experience to learn how to properly drive in snow either so it is probably best for everything to close down and everyone stay home. I'm not telling you a line of bull....that is really the way it is even if snow is just mentioned for our area.

Guest tessa c2

A winter statistic

96% OF CANADIANS SAY "OH ****" BEFORE GOING IN THE DITCH ON A SLIPPERY ROAD.

THE OTHER 4% ARE FROM SASKATCHEWAN AND THEY SAY, "HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS."