IGNORED

Camping Trailer Recommendations

Guest muskrat

Guest muskrat

Hey all you motorcycle campers out there - looking for personal recommendations on camping trailers to pull with my Venture. I just got back from the Wing Ding in Billings, MT and there were several vendors there with pretty nice camping trailers for motorcycles - but I know there are a lot more makes and models then the 3 or 4 that were in Billings.

Anybody got any feedback, positive or negative, on any makes/models? We would only be sleeping 2 as it is just my wife and I.

Thanks.

(and no, I wasn't looking to go over to the Wing nation - my wife rides a Gold Wing and she wanted to go to the Wing Ding - good excuse to ride my Venture through the Rockies)

When Bruce gets back fron FT Collins he will probably reply as he has a nice one that has a king size bed. I had a talk about the safety issue of something that heavy and as I expected,common sense and dont push it and he seems to have done all of that.

I had a Bunkhouse camper that I pulled behind my '98 'Wing. I went to LOT of GWRRA events looking at all the different campers other Wingers were camping in before I bought my Bunkhouse. IMHO, it's the best..king sized bed, lots of storage room, lot's of windows for ventilation, top quality canvas, never a leak, easy to set up and take down, room at the foot of the bed to stand up and change clothes, additional add on canvas room available. but if I was to do it again, I'd get one with trailer brakes, it's a little heavy when you want to stop. but it pulls real easy, but stopping is a worry.

http://www.bf-specialties.com/

Found an old TraveLite with Don's help last month. It's really light and easy to set up but not as big as many of the others. They don't make 'em any more so you'd have to find one used. Perfect for me size and price wise though! They come up on ebay once in a while.

:) Wow! I have stayed in motels that were not as nice as that Bunkhouse camper!!

The wife and I are looking at riding the AlCan to Alaska either next year or the year after. This trailer would be perfect! Sounds like good brakes for it also.

I like to camp out, but usually take a tent and airmattress on the passenger seat, (wife rides her own bike). But this set up would be great! Motels are getting pretty expensive, went to StarDayz in St Joe a couple years ago, were on the road for 14 days and motels every night..... :sick: over $2000 for just rooms. Maybe with a nicer setup like the Bunkhouse, the wife might go for camping a bit more! :confused24:

Found a few links for trailers.

http://www.kamparoo.com/

http://www.travelizmo.com/archives/000712.html

http://www.compacttrailers.com/

http://www.pintsizetrailers.com/

http://www.roadmancampers.com/

http://www.wikco.com/timeout1.html

I think that the Bunkhouse is by far the best looking and largest one out there.... would fit a couple better that want more space... (after 27 years of marriage, space is nice..... lol)

Geezrr - I'm temporarily hijacking this thread.

I just finished hosting a Ride-In in Alaska for the Venturers website. Folks from this site were invited also but there was not one inquiry. If you need any assistance when you decide to come get in touch with me and I'll do what I can for you.

Dan

• 1 month later...

Well as Tom said ...I just did 16,500 k's with this Trailer ...it's hell on gas but when you consider any where from 60 to 150 dollars a night at a hotel ..well it's a savings. Basically it's the same trailer as Denden mentioned ...the owner Gary worked with Bunk House and helped or did the original design on the trailer ...they also have a smaller version .. with a Queen size bed ... but when I went to buy there was only 30 pounds difference so I went with the bigger model ...that way I can bring full size pillows and stuff just spread out better ....and as Tom said ..use some common sense pulling the trailer ...it's heavy and you need to allow some space ...unlike Denden I didn't go with the brakes ...their electric hydraulic and are not recommended by the manufacturer ...if you have a failure on a bike what's going to happen??? Your going down !!!!....Just have to take time and keep your space between others ....65 is fast enough ....I went though the Rockies ...across desert ...and never had a problem ...always kept gas in mind ...... the difference between the bunkhouse and aspen is pretty simple ...my rods go inside for a cleaner look and bunkhouse on the outside ...cargo space is 25 cubic feet inside (you can get to this space with the trailer ready for travel or set up)..standing area of approx. 6' by 6'.... And their well made ...ask Tom about the Wind Storm we got caught in ...it held it's ground ...well other then the pegs pulled out ...LOL ...outside in my .....well lets say I didn't dress to put the pegs back into the ground ...like most tents you buy the pegs suck ... other then that it's a great trailer!!!......

Well as Tom said ...I just did 16,500 k's with this Trailer ...it's hell on gas but when you consider any where from 60 to 150 dollars a night at a hotel ..well it's a savings. Basically it's the same trailer as Denden mentioned ...the owner Gary worked with Bunk House and helped or did the original design on the trailer ...they also have a smaller version .. with a Queen size bed ... but when I went to buy there was only 30 pounds difference so I went with the bigger model ...that way I can bring full size pillows and stuff just spread out better ....and as Tom said ..use some common sense pulling the trailer ...it's heavy and you need to allow some space ...unlike Denden I didn't go with the brakes ...their electric hydraulic and are not recommended by the manufacturer ...if you have a failure on a bike what's going to happen??? Your going down !!!!....Just have to take time and keep your space between others ....65 is fast enough ....I went though the Rockies ...across desert ...and never had a problem ...always kept gas in mind ...... the difference between the bunkhouse and aspen is pretty simple ...my rods go inside for a cleaner look and bunkhouse on the outside ...cargo space is 25 cubic feet inside (you can get to this space with the trailer ready for travel or set up)..standing area of approx. 6' by 6'.... And their well made ...ask Tom about the Wind Storm we got caught in ...it held it's ground ...well other then the pegs pulled out ...LOL ...outside in my .....well lets say I didn't dress to put the pegs back into the ground ...like most tents you buy the pegs suck ... other then that it's a great trailer!!!......

Very much like the Bunkhouse. Looks to be about the same price. Trailmaster has been around a long time. For many years around Goldwingers, the best bang for the buck cargo trailer was the CM2000. I like the looks of their "Arizona" cargo trailer. I miss my Bunkhouse, I wish I'd never sold it. The wife and I have fond memories of the many trips, and many campgrounds we stayed in. It makes touring much more of an "experience to remember". Motels are nice, air conditioning is becoming a MUST the older we get, but the PRICES of motels, compared to state campgrounds, or KOA. Link to website:

http://www.trailmasterinc.com/

Oh, by the way, my personal experience...the best tent pegs are the ones that look like giant nails, about 12 inches long, with a plastic collar at the head. Never had one blow out. But they can be stubborn to pull out when it's time to pack up. I carried a variety of tent pegs...including some that looked like pointed angle iron (for sandy soil), big plastic ones, the thin and mostly useless ones that come with the tents...a variety to use depending on the soil you are on. But the giant nails worked good on everything except rocky soil.

I have a Time Out, and have enjoyed it very much. I just got it last July. I had it at Vogel. It has a Queen size bed, table and room to dress in. It also has room enough for 2 chairs inside. Mine has a place for an 5200 BTU air conditionair. It has plenty of windows and two of them have plastic over the screens so you can run the air and still let in light. I have a 12X12 screen room attached which gives a lot more room outside. You can pull your bike in out of the weather if you want, or place some extra chairs for guests. I also have a fan and TV that I bring with me when I travel. It doesn't take me too long to set up, (of course I'm still learning).

I carry my TV and air cond. on top of the trailer along with 4 chairs. The TV and air are in the luggage bag that I got with the trailer. It has electric brakes, however I haven't hooked them up with the bike as of yet. I also have the cooler rack and cooler that is on the tongue of the camper. I'm pulling almost 400# and I do know it when I pull away from a stop light or sign. But once on the road I don't know it's back there unless I hit a dip or bump in the road.

You can contact Time OUt Trailers (Campers) and they will send you a DVD and you can see for yourself.

Good luck in your search, and it is a lot of fun. (Except when you pick a camp site too far away from the bathroom.)

Ken

1 - UP:080402gudl_prv: