IGNORED

Headlight bulb........

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might be looking for this tail lighthttp://www.customdynamics.com/Images/vstar_genesis_small.jpg

I have one on my RSTD. It is plenty bright and saves a bit of power for other goodies. It has three white LEDs to illuminate the license plate. The rest are red. I first saw one on Bear's bike (Harry Solomon) last year in Colorado. I gave it a try and I like it.

Yep....That's the unit I have on my bike.

Thanks Stoutman!!

For the headlamp get the Piaa Intense White bulbs!!!!!! OUTSTANDING VALUE and great light!!!!

For the brake and turn use 2357 or 2357NA as applicable. More light than the 1157 series bulbs. read THIS thread for more info

But if you can afford it, get the LED turn and brake bulbs.

You might be looking for this tail lighthttp://www.customdynamics.com/Images/vstar_genesis_small.jpg

I have one on my RSTD. It is plenty bright and saves a bit of power for other goodies. It has three white LEDs to illuminate the license plate. The rest are red. I first saw one on Bear's bike (Harry Solomon) last year in Colorado. I gave it a try and I like it.

That is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks:97:

For the headlamp get the Piaa Intense White bulbs!!!!!! OUTSTANDING VALUE and great light!!!!

For the brake and turn use 2357 or 2357NA as applicable. More light than the 1157 series bulbs. read THIS thread for more info

But if you can afford it, get the LED turn and brake bulbs.

I've seen 1156 Amber LED and 1157 Red LED available through chromeglow.com. They also mentioned that if your LED's blink faster than normal, a 'Load Equalizer' is required. I am thinking of getting them and you are right it is very pricey ($20.00+ bucks for each). However, do you know if the Venture will need a load equalizer. If it does, I may skip on this idea.

That is not good...I may just opt for the LED run/brake light...maybe...this will require me to think about it. I wish I can have them all LED's without the Load Equalizer including turn signals.:think:

Here's how I understand it: with no load equalizer, your blinkers will be fast (technically illegal), but some actually prefer it (more noticeable). You could also replace your blinker unit with this, which I have done. You loose the automatic cancel & emergency flashers, but to me that's okay. You do save a little juice for other electrics this way, however, your blinkers aren't on for very long anyway, so really, is it saving anything. I just wanted to have more juice for other things, & besides, the LEDs are much brighter. :2cents:

I have replaced my tail light with the LED panel from CustomDynamics and also replaced the front turn signal/running lights with LED and replaced the four side reflectors with LED lights that act as both running and turn signal lights. I do not use a load equalizer. My turn signals blink faster than normal, but not fluttering-fast, and the self cancelling turn signals still work. I think that if I replaced the tail turn signals with LEDs as well, then they would flutter or not flash at all, so I did not do those.

I replaced my tail light with the one from custom dynamics, and it is VERY bright and went in very easily. perfect fit!

I also replaced all 4 turn signals with led's. They do blink faster, and I like it. I feel that they are more noticeable. I did not use a load resister, even though they told me I needed one when I ordered. The led's are much brighter than stock, and be sure to get the ones that blink from off to on, instead of bright to dim like stock does. Again, it makes them more noticeable.

Custom Dynamics was very good to work with, and shipped quickly.

Sounds good...I think I can live with a slightly faster blink rate and not loose my auto cancelling turn signal and Hazard flasher capability. However, not so sure about what exactly I need to get for my '07 Venture for the rear running and brake light as well as for my front LED running and signal Amber + Rear Amber Turn signals.

Do you have part #'s for me to look up?

Sounds good...I think I can live with a slightly faster blink rate and not loose my auto cancelling turn signal and Hazard flasher capability. However, not so sure about what exactly I need to get for my '07 Venture for the rear running and brake light as well as for my front LED running and signal Amber + Rear Amber Turn signals.

Do you have part #'s for me to look up?

Here's what you might want. They're called dynamic clusters. The outer 24 LEDs are amber for your turn signals & the inner cluster of 24 LEDs is red for your running/brake lights. I use these. Just click on the picture.

http://www.customdynamics.com/Images/genesis_flat_small.jpg

Those clusters look very nice, but honestly...I am not too thrilled with the idea that I have to hook wires to the existing running wire and brake wire. How much more involved will the wiring connections be? How about your front Amber running and signal lights? What did you use? The rear running light and brake housing? Did you need any load equalizers?

I see that these clusters are not DOT approved. Will the cops give you a hard time?

Most LEO's do not know what is OEM and what is after-market on these bikes. Unless you put lights on that are blatantly illegal,such as blue/red/white strobes,you should have no problem with LEO's.

This opinion should not be construed as offensive or insulting to any LEO. They all do one hell of a job out there and IMHO have more concerns to deal with than what type of bulbs you have in your brake/signal lights.

I am in contact with Custom Dynamics now and am trying to eliminate the need for Load Equalizers. Looking at the Dynamic Clusters and LED Tail light...the only problem is that there is no listing for the 1157 replacement for the clusters...they have the 7507 type which I think is different than the 1157's. Am still awaiting an answer from them.

IMO and with the product description and installation, the Dynamic Cluster LED's may not need the LE's.

I used the Dogeye clusters from Custom Dynamics with an elctronic flasher instead of load equalizers. It works great. I also have the LED tailight with 1157 plug in. I added a license plate light inside the tailight housing because the led does not light up the license plate. I'll try to get some pics when I get home. The only thing about using LE's or an elctronic flasher is the self canceling feature won't work any more.

Ponch

I've seen that Electronic flasher in their website and it looks like there is no splicing required just plug-and-play...simply adjust the rate of flash to your own taste. If I can use the dynamic clusters with the electronic flasher kit - that may be a nice option.

Honestly, CD has too many options to try for the Venture. It is getting harder to decide at this point.

That is awesome. Thanks for posting pics and the video. My ride already has an LED Run/Brake wing light on the rear above the trunk...as I think more about lighting up the rear and looking at different options, I am now looking closely at a pair of HD Tail Lights (Part#68230-97A) that may serve as Run/Brake Lights. This route may be a pricey decision, so LED clusters may still be my best cost effective way on lighting up the rear of my Venture.

Nice set-up there Ponch!!

Questions: 1) Is that a custom made bracket for the lights on the trunk?

2) Did you lose your helmet holders by using this set-up?

Any info/part #'s you could supply would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards.........Boomer

Boomer,

The light mounts are passing light turnsignal adapters. Yamaha doesn't offer them for sale. You have to buy the passing light kit, bar and all to get them. I asked my Yammi parts guy about buying some and he said "they're not available, but let me check on something". He came back about ten minutes later and handed them to me for free. Apparantly the service department had replaced a passing light kit on a wrecked bike and kept the parts. Yay! So if anyone has to replace a passing light kit , save the parts.

I took the helmet holders off and drilled/bolted the adapters to the bracket where the holders were. There's not much room inside the gussets behind the helmet holder for the head of a bolt. I tried to find socket head cap screws in a MM10x1.25 (I think) but couldn't find them so I used a little bit longer bolts (hex head) than I needed and put a spacer under the heads so I could get a wrench on the head. I'm thinking about remounting the helmet holders just slightly below where they were.

I bought two FRONT turn signal assemblies from www.yamahasportsplaza.com pulled the stock light socket out and replaced them with the dogeyz (Dynamic Clusters) from Custom Dynamics. This way I had run/brake and turn signals in one fixture and and the turn signals still flash amber. I had to add a brake light circuit to the fixture. I ordered clear turn signal lenses as well to make the LED's even more noticeable. Custom Dynamics - clear lenses

Most think this looks ugly, but at the risk of being so, I will do whatever I can to get more noticeable lighting on the rear of the Venture. Ask anyone who has ridden behind me on a run if you can see this setup.

Hope this helps. Works for me.

Edited by Ponch
Added text.