IGNORED

Trouble with relays

Guest ssparks905

Guest ssparks905

89 Venture Royale...

I've lost my brake lights. I tracked the problem to a relay behind the headlight. This relay is marked:

1NL

OMRON

10Y8D5

It is a metal cased relay with 4 spade connectors in the connector housing.

Can anyone help me identify which part to order?

There are two relays with this marking, one on the left and one on the right. I have been unable to determine what part this is. The parts fische only shows two different devices in that area of the fairing (Electrical 1, items 9 and 12). One is noted as "Relay Assembly for side stand", the other just as "Relay ASSY".

I did verify that this is the problem part by swapping the relays and the brake lights worked. Swapped back and no brake lights.

Since the relay wasn't working I took it apart carefully and found a small deposit between the contacts. I cleaned that out and tested the relay in the bike again. :happy65: The brake lights worked! I epoxied the relay back into it's cover, tested and the lights still worked, so I reassembled the bike. One last test... :doh: no brake lights. Of course, our local dealership has no parts in stock and they can't figure out which relay to order from the parts fische.

That number does not cross over to anything I can find in my data books. However it should be and easy task. Can you post more details... look closely at the terminals for markings... there should be two for power and the indication will probably be '+' and '-'. The other two will be 'c' or 'com' and 'nc' or 'no'. If you can show me a photo with something to reference for size, I'm sure I can point you to a suitable replacement.

:detective:

Standard automotive relays usually have 5 prongs. They nearly always have a wiring diagram printed right on the relay as well, to show you what prongs go where.

The 5th prong is for normally closed operation.

There are two primary prongs (actuation coil) and three secondary (controlled circuit). One of these will be a common terminal, one operates in normally closed and one for normally open (most common use).

Although I haven't looked into the wiring too closely on my venture yet, I'd bet a body could adapt one rather easily from an automotive relay.

Standard automotive relays usually have 5 prongs. They nearly always have a wiring diagram printed right on the relay as well, to show you what prongs go where.

The 5th prong is for normally closed operation.

There are two primary prongs (actuation coil) and three secondary (controlled circuit). One of these will be a common terminal, one operates in normally closed and one for normally open (most common use).

Although I haven't looked into the wiring too closely on my venture yet, I'd bet a body could adapt one rather easily from an automotive relay.

I agree. I use automotive fuses at 3 or 4.00 each every chance I get.

Dick

Guest ssparks905

I think this relay is the same as the Fuel Pump control relay. The service manual IDs that relay as Omron G8D-02Y. That is the only Omron component listed in the Specifications Appendix. However, it does not provide a Yamaha part number.

I took some pictures, but have to figure out how to reduce them to an uploadable size. I'm not familiar with my wife's photo editing software, so it may take a while.

In the meantime, my son-in-law is going to compare the relay to the automotive relays he has at work (a mechanic in the family :thumbsup2:). If a close match is found, we will experiment and I'll post the results.

Just to clarify, the wiring diagram shows the wires from the front and rear brake switches going to the computer monitor. The brake lights are controlled from a yellow/black wire that runs from the computer to the tail light harness. That circuit is present and does have continuity with 2 ohm resistance from the computer connector to the tail light connector.

I think that the wires from the brake light switches run to the relay, and the power from the activated circuit goes to the computer, then the output from the computer goes to the brake lights.

I think you are dealing with the electric antidive relay (EAND). When the brakes are applied this relay sends power to the solenoids at the bottom of the front forks to reduce dive.

The relay should have 4 wires....Yellow, Black, Brown, White....if my wiring diagram is correct. If you temporarily remove the relay do the brakelights work okay? My diagram shows that power from the brake switches branches off to power the coil in the EAND relay....so if the relay draws too much it could reduce voltage to CMS brakelight input, and affect brakelights..

Looking at the parts fiches....it appears this relay might be item #19 on the Handle Switch Lever fiche. The online stores don't show a part number for #19 (usually meaning no longer available)...on Yamaha's website item #19 is 25G-81950-01-00 Relay Assembly....but I'd check with the dealer. This is the same part number as #12 on Electrical 1 fiche which is listed on line at $31.30

Edited by Neil86

Guest ssparks905

Neil86,

Great catch. It was the EAND realy. I found that relay on the wiring diagram after having my wife help me identify the wire colors. The other relay that is the same model is for the CLASS system. The brake lights did not work with the relay in or out, but when I substituted the CLASS relay, they worked. I disassembled and cleaned the original EAND realy and the brake lights worked for a little while, then quit working again. I didn't make a lot of troubleshooting tests after I relaced the fuse holders, so it might have been a combination of things, possibly even the contacts on the end of the tail light bulbs themselves.

The good news is that I found an automotive realy that does fit without any wiring mods.

The bad news is that it is about $30 dollars. It is a Pep Boys stock part in the BWD product line. It is a round bell shaped can so it doesn't fit the rubber mount, but it plugs righ into the wiring harness.

BWD A6X,

Pep Boys R3054.

The relay itself is marked as follows:

Relay M4

90987-02004

056700-4810

12V 22A

The wiring diagram and pin out matches the diagram in the 86-93 Service Manual on page 7-93

Thanks everyone.