IGNORED

More help please....Garmin help

Iowawegian

Well, you all know how technically inept I am....so I need your advice, again.

I want to get Gary a GPS for xmas. Walmart has a Garmin 3.5 Nuvi 200 on sale at Walmart on Black Friday for $97.00. We don't need anything more than the basics so I thought this might be ok for us. Problem is I hate shopping and refuse to stand in line at 3 am. Checked on ebay and get get the same thing for around $112.00 which beats standing in line.

The only thing is they all say "refurbished". Have any of you ever bought refurbished and would this be a mistake?

Thanks again for all you help!!

Well I bought a refurbished GPS, last year. Took it on two trips, and so far its still working OK.

As far as what that means, I would say a precentage of them were returned by the original purchacer, simply because they did not like it.

Another percentage might be software failiure, and the unit simple had the software reinstalled, and unit repackaged.

Another precentage would be the person simply could not figure out how to use the thing, so they thought something was wrong with it, and returned it.

Then another factor would be to compare the Price of $119 to the original full Retail, which was probably around 3 to 4 hundred.

What is the Offered Return policy? on the refurbished unit that you are considering ? If they will take it back, if it fails, then your risk would be quit low, and the saveings pretty good.

So--- ?? as with any Electronic Equipment, there is always some risk. However over the years, I have never bought a Warrenty on Electronic equipment, and so far I am way ahead of the Game.

My 2 cents worth :080402gudl_prv:

I agree with what GeorgeS said about refurbished. If it's factory refurbished you might get a 30 day warranty, but if not I'm pretty sure you are on your own. The price sounds good and I have found that the lines at 4:00 a.m. are very short.

Good Luck.

I want to get Gary a GPS for xmas. Walmart has a Garmin 3.5 Nuvi 200 on sale at Walmart on Black Friday for $97.00. We don't need anything more than the basics so I thought this might be ok for us. Problem is I hate shopping and refuse to stand in line at 3 am. Checked on ebay and get get the same thing for around $112.00 which beats standing in line.

The only thing is they all say "refurbished". Have any of you ever bought refurbished and would this be a mistake?

I bought Refurbished from Ebay. Garmin 650. I use it all the time and have for almost a year. I've had absolutely no problems and even got support from Garmin like it was new.

Guest tx2sturgis

I want to get Gary a GPS for xmas. .........

I usually have no problem buying refurbished, as long as the item has a full warranty. Sometimes 'refurbished' simply means returned, checked out, cleaned up, and repackaged with all new cables, books, box, and a warranty card, sometimes it means 'used', and just thrown in any old box they have, and sometimes it is a way of discounting off full MSRP without worrying about price controls implied by the manufacturer.

You have to trust the integrity of the retailer. Refurbished from a major or well-known seller is normally a good deal. Refurbished from 'Joe and Fred's Budget Electronics' might not be a good deal.

Having said that...I'll say this. Nothing says Merry Christmas like 'Refurbished'!

:hihi:

I bought a refurb Garmin Quest last spring for around a hundred bucks when the garmin website still had them on sale for over 400 bucks. For that much difference I was willing to take a chance and i am glad I did. Garmin makes a good unit as far as I am concerned and I am happy with the fact the quest is waterproof and portable so I can move it from car to scoot.

I would say go for it as long as your retailer is reliable and you trust them.

Brian

we also bought our HD big screen on Ebay refurbished. Came with a 90 Day warranty and seller had over 20,000 feedback with a 95% posative rating. Funny thing is it didn't work right. Every time you hit a remote button the TV would shut off. However the manufacture stood by the warranty and completey replaced the main board. Works great now and I paid about half normal retail. I love refurbished! Its where I always look first for electronics.