IGNORED

Holy Cow!

1sttenor

I've got 20K on the ole 06 RSV now and had never pulled the shaft out. Well, while I had the rear tire off for a change, I decided to pull the shaft to lube the splines. Glad I did, there was no lube on them that I could see, looked completely dry from the factory, but that's another rant altogether. Once started, it took only 15 minutes to pull and lube the shaft...and 2 1/2 hours to reinstall! My question is: What rocket scientist came up with that u-joint configuration? OK, now I'm done venting and I understand why they wanted 3 hours labor to do the job at the dealer.

I just had to walk away a couple of times or I was going to throw the shaft across the garage... I got it all back together and all is well, but did I miss something? Other than that little access hole, a coat hanger, and 3 six foot long arms (one to hold the light, one to hold the hanger-turned u-joint hook and one to hold a light), is there a better way to line up the u-joint and shaft?

If you have a bench grinder you can make a 45 degree on the end of the shaft. Just grind off enough to make it slide in the ujoint easy. There is about one inch of shaft before you get to the splines. Be sure to clean it up and put the Honda moly 60 on the splines and gear on the other end.

tew47

Edited by TEW47

When I did it the first time it took me about 45 minutes to get it slid in. After buttoning everything up and installing the rear wheel I then found sitting in my parts dish that little spring that goes into the back of the shaft and acts like a dampener. After some well tossed profanities I took it all apart. This time I was able to slide the shaft back in within 1 minute. Moral of this story: its all in the feel.