IGNORED

Tire Pressure Monitor System

Tom

Other than having to rebalance the tire and change batteries (?) I would want a "trip point" alarm. These bikes have enough guages and monitors but I rather love the red "alarm" light to draw my attention, then the gauges tell me the extent..

The idea has merit, especially for heavier bikes, but the ability to set a "trip point" would be the selling factor for me.

Mike, i've seen such a System, but i can't find the Link right now. I researching my Brain and will come back with something. They even compute Tire Temperature. I have it on my Wish List for the next Tire Change on the Venture. Not cheap though, but my Bacon is worth more than Money.

i use a sys. like it on RVs it reads the pressure than makes noise at 12% low and at 25% low it will make sure you know the tire is low , i bet this sys. do's the same , there is a new sys. coming out that has tire pressure , gps , cam. and mpg player around springtime , good for 6 wheels , the price is suppose tobe about 650.00 , the monitor supposed tobe the same size as the zumo i,ll check it out when it comes in . it would be nice to know your tire pressure on the bike and the bike trailer .

Thom

Believe me ,I like gadgets . But I would pass on this one . Making myself get down low enough to check my tire pressure , will also allow me to visually inspect the rest of the scoot , tires , etc.... I would not want to totally rely on this monitoring device and get to darn lazy to check out other important issues .

BEER30

Believe me ,I like gadgets . But I would pass on this one . Making myself get down low enough to check my tire pressure , will also allow me to visually inspect the rest of the scoot , tires , etc.... I would not want to totally rely on this monitoring device and get to darn lazy to check out other important issues .

BEER30

This is true..I would not want to rely on it but Ive had a few friends that lost air fast and before they knew it it was a bad situation. I am just wondering if it would give even a little advance warning..I am leaning towards it but only as an extra margin of safety. I am weighing all opinions and I am glad you brought this up as I can see that someone could get complacent and possibly have a problem. I had a friend loose a tire due to a cut in it and he said he thought he heard something but a few seconds later was in a battle trying to keep it upright..He had a good outcome BTW. Thanks again for bringing that point up. Tom

If your looking for a cheap alternative , grab yourself a set of curb-feelers . Mount them under the scoot pointing downwards , high enough not to hit the ground . Let some air out of the tires to what you consider a safe zone and cut to length . Now air up the tires to proper amount . So now when you loose air pressure , the scoot's lowers itself , the curb-feelers will make that scrapping sound to alert you your tires are low . Just remember this when going over curbs and sidewalks , lol !

I'm not a rocket scientist , just stayed at a Holiday Inn . Or was it a vision when I was passed out drunk ?

BEER30

If your looking for a cheap alternative , grab yourself a set of curb-feelers . Mount them under the scoot pointing downwards , high enough not to hit the ground . Let some air out of the tires to what you consider a safe zone and cut to length . Now air up the tires to proper amount . So now when you loose air pressure , the scoot's lowers itself , the curb-feelers will make that scrapping sound to alert you your tires are low . Just remember this when going over curbs and sidewalks , lol !

I'm not a rocket scientist , just stayed at a Holiday Inn . Or was it a vision when I was passed out drunk ?

BEER30

Too much time to think!

I just use the valve stem caps that show red/yellow/green. A quick glance before each ride and at each stop lets me know if the tire is up or low. You can get them in different pressures and not very expensive ($10 - $20 for four). I got mine at NAPA but have seen them at tire stores.

I have one like the one in Condors link (Smartire). Here is one on Ebay (current bid of $78 and reserve not met). I paid $94.99 + $28.70 shipping out of Canada.

The company ( SmartTire ) that makes them is getting away from the motorcycle line.

I don't have it installed yet. Been waiting until I need new tires. The sensor is mounted inside the rim on a band the goes around the wheel. Kind of like a big hose clamp if I understand correctly. Sealed unit. When the battery goes, the unit goes. Maybe Smartire will install a new one or maybe I can figure something else out when that time comes. In order to save battery, it only sends a signal when the wheels are turning. Won't do you any good if you're wanting to see what the pressure is before you mount. Got to do that the old fashioned way... the Beer30 way!.

My wife's car has tire pressure senors which feed into a dash display. One day she was driving down the highway as usual when a tire warning came on. She was losing air pretty fast. The warning came on before she felt the problem and it allowed her to get safely off the road (it had picked up a big nail). That's what I'm looking for... early warning. I'll use it to remind me to air up also... but mostly I want to know when I need to stop!

Doug

BEER30

Ahhhh but this doesn't take into account changing loads (with or without passenger, trailer, that 12 pack you just stuck in the trunk :whistling: ) or shock/fork pressures. You'd have to re-adjust for every riding situation.