IGNORED

Just bought a new HF tire changer

1sttenor

Well, I finally got tired of the high prices of tires at the stealerships. Even if you get the tires online the shops want $60-$100 to mount my tires (after I've removed the wheels). So after reviewing articles here and elsewhere on the internet about the HF tire changer, Marc Parnes balancer, and MOJO lever, I've made the plunge to get them. I picked up the changer at Harbor Freight this weekend on sale for $98 ($49 each piece). The other pieces should be arriving this week.

I'm thinking of mounting the changer on a 1/2 sheet of 3/4" plywood, so that I can remove it and store it easily. Has anyone got any experience with this method? I could put in concrete mounting holes, just thought this might be a little neater when not in use( no dirt or sawdust to get in the holes).

Also, any other recommendations?:feedback:

I screwed my sheet of plywood on top of an old pallet - gives the set up some stiffness. Also lets the bolts point down so the ends aren't sticking up.

Now, at the risk of causing some ridicule of myself. It was not apparent to me that the bead breaker should be used with the wheel laying on the ground in front of the changer. I was breaking beads with the wheel mounted in the changer.

I eventually broke the neck off the changer and had to re-weld it.

One day I needed to do a lawnmower wheel, which would not mount in the changer. I started to think about how I can get the bead broken. I realized the bead could be broken against the base - That's when the :lightbulb: went on.

i got a really neat balancer on the way should be here tomorrow. i have always changed my own tires and balnced them. i use a large jorgensen wood working clamp to break the bead, has never failed to work, and it is wooden, and it won't scratch the rim. then i use three giant screw drivers to dismount the tire. on the tires that won't hit the rim to air up, i use a tie down strap. trick here is don't put the valve in the valve stem till you seat the bead. you ain't lived till you mount a 240 or bigger tire. like working with a tractor tire. :2133:

To break the bead I use a large C-Clamp and a piece of 2x4 . Hold the 2x4 under the wheel and on the rim , place the top of the C-Clamp on the 2x4 and the bottom ( the screw) on the top of the tire as close to the rim as you can and just turn the screw till it breaks the bead . Im thinking of having a piece welded on the screw end of the C-Clamp so there is a little more surface on the tire . Then with 2 tire irons the rest is easy . I also use a ratcheting strap around the tire to help push the bead out till it starts to hold air .

As far as balance . I tried and love the balancing beads you put in the tires . Check out Innovative Balancing their product is called Dyna Beads . They really give a smooth ride and they have a chart on how much to use in each tire . No need to do any balancing with them .

Edited by Jalle53

Now, at the risk of causing some ridicule of myself. It was not apparent to me that the bead breaker should be used with the wheel laying on the ground in front of the changer. I was breaking beads with the wheel mounted in the changer.

I eventually broke the neck off the changer and had to re-weld it.

One day I needed to do a lawnmower wheel, which would not mount in the changer. I started to think about how I can get the bead broken. I realized the bead could be broken against the base - That's when the :lightbulb: went on.

Whew, I thought I was the only one! Me and a buddy were using my new HF remover and for 15 mins., couldn't figure out how in the H the bead breaker was supposed to go UP, to break the bead, as it didn't even reach the tire!

Then, we noticed that small triangular piece of metal on the base....hmmm, maybe if you rest the tire there and oh, I dunno, push DOWN! DUh, worked amazingly well, broke the bead easy.

.... couldn't figure out how in the H the bead breaker was supposed to go UP, to break the bead, as it didn't even reach the tire!

Then, we noticed that small triangular piece of metal on the base....hmmm, maybe if you rest the tire there and oh, I dunno, push DOWN! DUh, worked amazingly well, broke the bead easy.

I had a drill handy so I just drilled extra holes in the bead breaker arm to make it long enough. Worked real well too, until I got to the front tire on my 1st gen. That wheel really likes to hold onto the tire....

I use the dyna beads but really had a hard time getting them in the tire. u have a secret to get them in a reasonable time?????

I used one of those vibrating engravers held against the valve stem . I even put them in my car tires and what a diffrence they made .