IGNORED

RSTD-Kuryakyn ISO Grips/Flanders Bars and Bar End Weights

Guest Shep

I think I have read every post on the forums about the topic(s) - but they seem to be about one or the other and not all 3 at the same time. :confused24: (See title)

Tonight I started the project of replacing the stock bars, adding Kury ISO grips and keeping my stock bar-end weights on my 2007 RSTD. When I took the weights off, I found that the threaded insert in the stock RSTD bar seems to be silicon'ed in. I could see no weld or anything on the bar-end to indicate that it is held in place by anything other than black silicone.

Before I proceed I thought I would ask here and see if anyone has come across this and how you removed them from the stock bars. I would like to re-use them if I can, but I can always just weld in a nut.

Next question is - I bought the ISO "universal" fit grips and it says that it doesn't come with a throttle tube (to use the old one). I have the grip completely off the left side - and the rubber off the throttle side - but there is a chrome plastic part up at the top. Do I have to take the throttle assembly off to get the chrome "stepped" ring off?

Thank for your help - remember I am talking about an 07 RSTD if that helps. :thumbsup2:

I am taking pictures as I progress and I will post a step-by-step when I am done so that it might help others in the same boat.

Thanks,

Shep :happy34:

Didn't get to finish the last post, I'm at work and they expected me to do somtinig! Go figure! Anyway, I didn't have any silacone or anything like that on my endweights. they just unscrewed and popped put. I drilled out the ends of the grips to accomadate the weights and put them back together. Haven't had any issues with them and I like the bigger grips. Good luck!!:thumbsup2:

I'm not sure about the RSTD but my '99 RSD had a spot weld holding the insert in. Check this thread.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11122

Yes, I have seen your "step-by-step" and it is very good! However, my RSTD has no welds. This is how the bar-end looks:

http://www.calvarycentral.org/downloads/Yamaha/bar-end-mount.jpg

The outer ring is of course the handlebar - the second ring is metal - then the rubber and inside that - the bushing for mounting the end weights...

Any ideas on how to get this out? :smile5:

BTW - did you drill a new hole for the "pin" on the throttle assembly or did you just grind it off (as some have done)?

Edited by Shep

Must be a press fit then. It seems odd that they would have done the RSTD differently than the RSV for something like this. It would probably be easier to get some new nuts to weld into the other bars. That's what I did. There's a fair chance you could ruin these anyway trying to get them out.

I agree that there is a good chance of destroying them trying to get them out. I'm not sure if they are press fit or glued in with something. I guess if it were me, I would try rigging up some sort o slide hammer. Maybe a long bolt with something fairly heavy that you can slide the bolt through and then screw it into the bushing.

On my RSV I just welded some metric nuts into the ends of the new bars. I turned the new nuts down in a lathe to just fit into the new bars then drill a 1/4" hole through the side of the bars and plug welded the nuts in place. Grind the weld smooth and put a little rust paint on the weld. The new grips hide the welded area anyway.