IGNORED

Dead Venture - HELP

Guest indyrick

Guest indyrick

Hi. New guest here. I've only owned this bike a few weeks (great machine) and the sidestand switch failed leaving me without power at 70+ in the fastlane of the local freeway loop in rush hour....

My vision is squat in low-light conditions but once home (and without thinking) I started hunting for the relay for the sidestand switch and managed to short something (there was a spark) while moving the forward fuse block (with the newer fuses - not the fuse block on top of the battery).

I have a '91 Venture and believe me I'd love some advice on just what could be wrong, tracing the problem down, etc. I've got a volt-ohm meter and have checked the battery, fuses, fuse block connections and ground points. So far nothing. I've checked for voltage in lines that should not have it according to the wiring diagram in my service manual and again have found none thus far.

As the switch has no effect (no idiot or instrument lights - nothing works) I am assuming at this point the problem is in the hot lead to the switch or the control unit (ughhh)

hhheeelllllp

thanks to all

Positive feedback - I love this machine. Mine has a lot of miles but runs great and pulls hard. I've thoroughly enjoyed it thus far. :)

indy

Guest indyrick

Thanks Silvrt. I appreciate the sidestand tip. I have to get power back to the bike first though before I can get back to the original problem.

indy

That's rough. Dead on 465 at rush hour. No mercy there.

I'm at 10th and 465. My number's in the member list. I'll be glad to help to the extent that I can. My wife and I are heading out Monday morning for the VentureRider International - the long way, so things are a little busy. I should have some free time Thursday and Friday afternoons/evenings. Feel free to call.

FWIW, my first thought was the fuse gibvel mentioned.

Is there Voltage, to the Input side of Any of the Fuse's ??

If so, Which fuse's have voltage,?? and which do not have voltage to the Input side.

Now check them all on the Output side.

Disconnect the Battery + Wire, Check voltage Across the Battery

with nothing connected to it !! ( Its possible the Battery Went Dead Short Internally !!! Rare, but it does happen !!! )

If voltage is low, put it on a Charger for about 6 hours, ( A real charger, not a trickle charger !!!!)

Go to the Main " 40 amp " Fuse Holder . Is the fuse Blown ?? If its blown Open

the unit and check for loose screws on the fuse element. ( I know

that sounds crazy , its a weird fuse design ) Also if this fuse is blown, you have to assume there is short down line from the fuse.

If you have voltage on output side of fuse, then go the the Ign Switch

as the next culprit. High resistance across the Ignition Switch is a known problem on these bikes. Compare Input voltage to the switch to the Output voltage of the Switch, going to the Fuse holder. If Ign Switch is bad, you will not have full voltage to input of Fuse holder.

Or it might be low voltage there, if there is high resistance across the Ing Switch

If you find LOW voltage output from the Ignition Switch, Get some spray on Electrical Contact Cleaner, Give the Ign Switch a Bath with this stuff, and Blow out with compressed Air.

Guest indyrick

Mark, Steve, George thanks so much for your input. Thus far I've (at least thought I had) checked the main fuse, both fuse blocks, all the fuses and the starter relay now (confirmed it's hot on one side).

George, you sound like you're calling the main fuse the plastic covered thing on the left side (sitting on the bike) of the battery, next to the round fuse fuse block). I thought the main fuse was the fuse on the right side (single fuse with a spare in a rubber housing. This entire housing loops body back to lid and has a plastic molded connector which hooks it into the wiring harness. BTW George, your suggestions are super and I will be checking those out in the morning! thanks!

The battery is up and holding it's charge fine. I'm using the yamaha service manual and since this manual doesn't consider a situation where the bike is dead I'm going through troubleshooting procedures for a non-starting motorcycle even though I know the starter circuit works (if I can find what happened that night in the dark when I moved the forward fuse block and something sparked...)

Thanks again. Steve I'll call - wow, we're the same age! :)

indy

Guest indyrick

Mark, Steve, George thanks so much for your input. Thus far I've (at least thought I had) checked the main fuse, both fuse blocks, all the fuses and the starter relay now (confirmed it's hot on one side).

George, you sound like you're calling the main fuse the plastic covered thing on the left side (sitting on the bike) of the battery, next to the round fuse fuse block). I thought the main fuse was the fuse on the right side (single fuse with a spare in a rubber housing. This entire housing loops body back to lid and has a plastic molded connector which hooks it into the wiring harness. BTW George, your suggestions are super and I will be checking those out in the morning! thanks!

The battery is up and holding it's charge fine. I'm using the yamaha service manual and since this manual doesn't consider a situation where the bike is dead I'm going through troubleshooting procedures for a non-starting motorcycle even though I know the starter circuit works (if I can find what happened that night in the dark when I moved the forward fuse block and something sparked...)

Thanks again. Steve I'll call - wow, we're the same age! :)

indy

Guest indyrick

Hi. Thanks again to Mark, Steve and George for all their assistance and suggestions. George, a special thanks to you for mentioning that weird situation where the "screws" come loose. I really believed that thing on the left side of the battery was an accessory takeoff (forget the exact terminology in the yamaha manual but it's located by pointing an arrow at a little black box in a drawing of the entire motorcycle!)

Anyway, upon inspection / removal - duh that sucker was found to be blown! I initially jumpered it and reinstalled to find everything came to life even though the entire fairing assembly was removed! I replaced the fuse then went down to the Yamaha shop where I ordered 3 spares :) )

I'll now go through that great work-around for the sidestand switch and get this thing back on the road!

Many thanks

indy

Next item to address: Is why did the 40 amp fuse blow ??

Do you know??

If it blows again, you should start looking for an Intermittant Short to ground. That could get nasty.

He did say he sparked something when he was moving the forward fuse block. I would assume that he shorted something then.

• 1 month later...
Guest indyrick

Hi. Not sure if you folks remember me but several of you helped me out with a sidestand switch stranding me and put me onto a great tech tip to get around it

If you can't get a switch for your sidestand, this solution may work for you. I saw it on another thread sometime ago.

Here is a way to prevent engine shutdown and still keep that dash warning light working. I am not the author - credit to Jason Morris, Bench Wrench,1990?

Locate three wires behind the the left side cover coming the sidestand switch. They are grouped together, their colors are black, green with a white stripe, and blue with a yellow stripe. It is now a simple matter of crossing black with blue/yellow. Use a Radio Shack inline splicer. DON'T cut any wires.

The connection does not affect the dash display, the warning light still works as normal. Also, if the switch fails while traveling down the road the engine will not turn off. It will be a little frightning if that light comes on while moving along at 80 mph, I know!

This is a much safer solution than defeating that switch completely.ffice ffice" />

Just wanted to say it worked like a champ and was easy enough even I could do it! Here's a picture of the finished splice:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=2927

Just want to thank Silvrt, Gibvel and Bummer for all the great advice.

good riding!

indy