IGNORED

My WINTER trip

Seaking

Winter is soon upon us up here in Canada (ha, for some people it's already been here!)

My greatest biking dream was to be able to ride my bike in FEB down south, say down to the Florida Keys for example but unfortunately we have too much snow and shyte roads to get out of here..

But now that I have a bike trailer, everything has changed!! woot

My plan / goal this coming winter is to load the bike on the trailer, drive south into the USA until I reach the end of the snow line, and park the vehicle, get on the bike and come back 2 weeks later and come home with a lot of biking and a sunburn.. drool...

While all this is just a dream right now, I'm sorta hunting for some info hopefully you yanks can help out with..

(A) in mid Feb, how far south would I need to go to be able to get on the bike and be 100% I won't get into snow / freezing rain trouble at the start of the trip.. 2 weeks later, say 1 March, get back..

(B) Though I will be able to tow my bike behind the vehicle on the trailer, I still need to protect it from the road salts (tons of it up here).. Is there a decent and proper bike wrap thing that can be used to protect the bike the bike yet not flap itself stupid and kill the bike?

And the fun thing is that this bike trailer can be quickly converted to a trailer to be pulled behind the bike ;) nice.

We live in South Carolina, just south of the North Carolina border. We usually get one snow and one ice storm per year, each lasting only one day. Thirty miles north of us (and 3,000 feet higher in elevation) in Highlands, NC they have much more snow and small ponds ice over there.

I don't know anything about salt. We use sand here on those two bad days.

Here in the N Ga mtns I ride all yr round though we do still get the occaisional light snow or ice so there is no 100% guaranty. I'd say Atlanta would be a safe bet though still not 100%.

As far as wrapping the bike you could use one of those big heavy duty rolls of clear plastic they use for shipping things. Wrap it tight and it won't flap around and it'll keep everything out.-Jack

ps We have quite a few members in the Altanta area. I'm sure someone would be willing to let you park your truck/trailer at their place.

Well we live near the coast and we don't usually get snow. We get ice storms every so often. Other than that we ride year round here as well. Temps are hard to judge they go up and down alot from fall to spring. We have quite a few members that live along the east coast here. The Piedmont area is not too bad either, definitely avoid the mountains around here in the winter.

Hope you have a great trip. If you decide what route you're gonna take let us all know. I'm sure someone could meet up with you pretty much anywhere along the way. Maybe for a meal or just a cup of coffee.

Margaret

You will probably want to get into VA or NC and you will be pretty safe. As Minimuffin said, we do get a few storms here or there, but it is relatively safe for winter precipitation in the piedmont area. Even when we do get snow or ice, it only lasts a day. I live just outside of Richmond, VA just off of I295 and you are more than welcome to leave you vehicle and trailer at my house while you heading South. If we can help with anything just let me know.

We usually get a snow once every 3 or 4 years that lasts a few hours. Good reason to pack the grocery stores, close school and me take off work and go hunting. Here's the good part, I have ridden My Venture to the hunting camp to go hunting!!! Cental Alabama is so brutal in winter.