IGNORED

84 Goldwing Interstate

Big Daddy

Anybody have any knowledge about Wings that might help me? I am going with a friend tonight to look at an 84 GW interstate with 53k miles. The guy is asking 2400 but is negotiable.

I know! I know its not a Venture but he's my buddy! Whaddayagonnado?

If I remember correctly, a 1984 is the 1200 cc model and can have an issue with the electrical system. The issue I heard about was with the stator output connector going bad and damaging the stator. If the stator has good output, I would verify that the connector has been removed and the wiring spliced or I would do it soon after the purchase.

Dave

I had the 1984 aspencade model 1200 cc

Lets put it this way, you take care of the motor, and it will take care of you.

237,000 plus miles on mine when I sold it, that was back in 1996

Lived in New York State then, Rode with the Royal Knights, of Plattsburgh, New York

Out of Adirondack Cycle center

I was looking at one not long ago. If Honda still made a 1200 I would have never gotten the Venture. I wanted a clean low miles one but the wife said no way to touring on a 25 year old bike and made me get the Venture. As for myself I had no fear of a older Honda.

The only thing that worried me was a reputation for the stator going bad. If not loosing the charging system a few states from home isn't bad enough you have to pull the engine to change it. Years ago an improved stator was available. Don't know how to tell if it had been done. There is also a mod out there called "The poor boy stator mod". It involved adding a small automotive alternator to the front of the engine. Even with the stator issues I would have gotten it if it were up to just me.

Jerry

It's probably too late now, that I caught this, but I had an '84 and it served me well, once I got the stator problem delt with. Couple notes tho. I definately would be looking at an Aspencade instead of an Interstate. Aspencade was a much nicer bike with all the bells and whistles and an Interstate was their cheapy model. Your buddy would be much happier with an Aspencade. If possible(for the older GWs) look for an '85 LTD or an '86 SE-i. I would take either one. :thumbsup2:

Thanks guys!

How about the handleing of the GW? I rode the bike last night and in comparison to the Venture it seemed heavy mushy and sluggish. Is this normal for this bike?

The overal condition of the bike was far less than pristine with some pretty amatuer alterations and a missing left side battery cover.

I recommended my friend keep looking.

Maybe someone here could help us find a clean bike for under three grand.

The buyer is open minded to brand and size.

The bike would be mostly used for commuting to work with a few weekenders now and again.

Thanks guys!

How about the handleing of the GW? I rode the bike last night and in comparison to the Venture it seemed heavy mushy and sluggish. Is this normal for this bike?.

I had an '83 Aspencade before I got my '85 Venture. IMHO, the Venture is a superior bike both in handling and performance and yes, the Wing seemed "heavy, mushy, and sluggish" in comparison.