IGNORED

Garmin Quest or other GPS

Friend of mine recently bought a refurb off e-bay. Seems like a pretty good unit. Normally sells for around $300 if I remember right and they are selling them for $110 + free shipping. I got to check it out while riding and works pretty well.

One question I have about this unit or any GPS for that matter is say I want to go from Indy to South Dakota, but want to take specific roads, can I program the GPS to go only on the roads I want to go on instead of having the GPS pick the route for you?

I see they have the Quest2 now also. Garmin lists it for $750.00. The same place on e-bay sells the refurb for $185 if I remember right. Garmin didn't have the price listed on just the Quest.

I was reading all the stuff on the Garmin web-site, but for things like what I am asking, its' all greek to me.

Thanks.

I have the Garmin quest (bought from tigerdirect.ca for about 120 bucks as a refurb)and I used it in my truck on my way down to California this summer, probably almost 4000 miles round trip. It worked very well all the way and I only found it wrong once, and that was a new road that had been there less than a year. My biggest beef with it is that it doesnt tell you the street name, you have to look at the screen to get the name. There was a couple of times where it said left turn in 1 mile but you could see 3 streets and I wasnt sure which street until I got very close to the turn. I also loaded all the maps for western US and canada onto it before I left home so my routes were all preprogrammed before I left, and it is easy to reprogram it enroute if you have a change. Alll in all I liked it and have the bike ram mount and kit, but havnt installed it on my scoot yet. Also it comes with all the Garmin software unlocked so there is nothing else to buy, until you want to update your maps in a year or 2. I bought the mortorcycle kit off ebay for about 69 bucks with the ram mount and all the wires and connections. (some dont actually have the mount, they just sell you the hookup kit.)

The only difference I can see for the Quest 2 is that it has more memory and that way you could leave all the maps for north america loaded in it all the time.

If you have any more questions please ask.

Brian

Yes, you can program the route you want. Best done on a computer using the software that comes with the Quest and then download the route to the Quest. For the money, get the Quest2 because it holds the maps for North America. Otherwise you have to load up the maps you think you'll need, which is slow and requires a computer. I've enjoyed the Quest and we've gotten a lot of use out of it in the car. A refurb Quest2 might be the best deal for a dual powered (battery, and external power), waterproof, GPS that can handle the rigors of motorcycle travel. Can't go wrong for

Kelly

Saw a guy with an RSV who had a Tom-Tom GPS. The nice thing about it was that it is motorcycle specific. Some of the features I remember about it was that it was water resistant (not waterproof), came with handlebar mounts and had m/c specific menu selections - the one that I remember was 'Avoid Freeways' or something like that. I don't remember the model but I don't imagine it would take much surfing to locate it. Sorry that I'm not supplying more info but hopefully this helps.

Doug

Kelly,

Looks like his price just dropped too. Now it is $140.50, free shipping & GPS bag on the Q2. If only Christmas was here already.

For that price i would buy it, its a good unit for a good price. I paid close to that for my Quest one.

You might want to look at buying their extended warranty if youre going to put it on your bike because of the vibration and the rain issues, depending on their price and quality of the warranty.

Mine has been great with no issues.

Brian

Guest Lightnen
Saw a guy with an RSV who had a Tom-Tom GPS. The nice thing about it was that it is motorcycle specific. Some of the features I remember about it was that it was water resistant (not waterproof), came with handlebar mounts and had m/c specific menu selections - the one that I remember was 'Avoid Freeways' or something like that. I don't remember the model but I don't imagine it would take much surfing to locate it. Sorry that I'm not supplying more info but hopefully this helps.

Doug

I just picked up a Tomtom One XL from Factorydirect for halve the price its refurbished but still has a 1yr warrenty. This one has the avoid interstates as well, it will find gas, restraunts and hotel/motels in any area.. Should be good for traveling next summer..