IGNORED

are water punps sappose to make noise ?

my water pump is making noise like there is something lose in side , rattling .

anybody know what i need before i take it apart , it will be 5 days to get parts , i don't want to strip down before i get the parts . its not running hot , not hotter than normal:detective:

thom

I just went through all of that myself, I found the impeller cracked, the seal was leaking through the bearing into the oil, and the bearing was making a lot of noise too. I bought a new impeller, bearing, Gasket, and seal from Flatout MC. All were ordered as individual parts, not a kit. The replacement was a cast metal impeller, the original was plastic. The bike runs a bit cooler now too. Thank goodness the guys on this forum pointed me in that direction. I thought I was going to pull the heads to find the source of water in the oil. It's finally on the road again, but seriously in need of the carbtune treatment.

I also learned why one should never to use a gas can to store kerosene.:no-no-no:

The Early models had Plastic Impellers, they were changed to Metal.

If you hear noise, its probably shattered, this was a common problem on the 83,85, not sure what year they changed to metal impeller.

Parts to do a complete rebuild will run you About $85.00.

Takes about 3 or 4 hours of work to rebuild the water pump.

simply pull off the parts one at a time, and replace. You need about 7 or 8 Seals, and a new impeller, a new Pump seal, and a New Bearing.

Look at the IPC, order every "Seal " shown on that page, plus the other parts.

guess what , not impeller i just took apart the water pump , metal impeller ok , bearing ok , seal ok , gears are ok .

i am going to change oil tomorrow get ride of the mobil one high milage , i'll try rotilla 15 - 40 not syn.

:bang head::bang head::bang head:

thom

Guest timshosvt

Mine rattles as well. I had mine apart awhile back and all was well. Perhaps there is some end to end play on the shaft that causes the impeller to rattle around? My seals and bearings are tight.

Tim