IGNORED

Final Drive oil level

Jimod

I have an '83 VR. My manual says to check the final drive oil level you use the dip-stick. OK if you have a dip-stick. It also says there should be .3 litre in it. That's how I fill it. I pour .3 litre in.

The '85 manual says fill to the lip of the filler hole or .2 litre. Well, that can't be right. It'd have to be well over .5 to fill to the lip.

Anyhow, if someone has a dip-stick, could you give me the measurements so I can make one. eg, length and distance from the top to the two marks on the bottom.

Thanks

Jim O'D

Australia.

On the early Ventures do not fill up to the bottom of the Filler Hole. You should use the Dipstick. The later (MKII) have a different final Drive than the early. There is a Thread here with a Pic and Measurement of the Dipstick. I think if you can get on from a XS1100, these are the same.

If you want to make a dip stick, the dip part goes into the hole 1.25" and the level indicator is 1.00" below the plug seating surface. Fairly simple to make. Personally I just fill to the bottom of the hole on all the bikes, and one of them is an '83. So far the final on it hasn't imploded on me after about 10,000 miles....:whistling: KOW!

Another thought... If you happened to overfill it, I think the excess lube would blow out the top thru the breather. I do know that when shipping a final and the thing hasn't been drained, your going to get oil all over the place, and have a few very unhappy postal workers.... :) :)