IGNORED

vacuum leak

Guest texasyamahamama

Guest texasyamahamama

My cruise control won't engage. The lights all come on like they are supposed to, but it won't engage. I found the thread about the cruise control and a possible vacuum leak. It seem like I saw one where a high idle rpm after the engine gets warm was also because of a vacuum leak. I am having both problems. After the engine gets warmed up it idles at between 2500 and 3000 rpm. Could these be related or caused by the same leak?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jackie

Sometimes the cruise control won't engage when the clutch lever has too much play. When you're setting it, try pushing the lever out all the way (I use the back of my fingers). If it sets this way, you need to check why there's too much play. Bleeding the clutch? Worn clutch? Loose switch (electrical wires on the back of the clutch reservoir)?

Jackie-

It sure sounds like a leak in the line for the cruise actuator. That is the can that attaches to the throttle and pulls the linkage. Knowing the history of your bike, I would suspect more than 1 leak. As your bike has low miles for its year, that equates to a lot of time sitting. If you need a copy of the service manual, I have one in PDF format. I could copy and e-mail a couple pages. The whole file is about 94mb. A can of starting fluid with a nozzle straw can be used to spray around the intake area (carefully!!). This is done while the engine is running. When sprayed near the vaccum leak, the engine RPM will speed up. There are other chemicals such as WD-40 that can also be used. Starting fluid gives the most dramatic results.

JB

That's what I get for trying to teach and think!! Motorcycles don't create enough vacuum volume to an actuator. There is a pump and an actuator. So, the possible engine vacuum leak would not relate to the cruise.

Find the engine problem first. It is probably a leak. Then, chase the cruise. It could be a leak on its own. Or something with the pump/actuator. Jackie, the best thing here is someone familiar with the system and a good wiring diagram. I am not close, but if you get over this way I bet we can get it figured out. Otherwise, find someone close to you.

Either way, good luck.

JB

Guest texasyamahamama

Thanks guys for the help. I wish I was more of a mechanic. I decided to take it over to the mechanic at Gainesville, TX. Hope he has my problems solved in time for the Stampede.

I've fought with my cruise control many times over the years..It works, then it don't then it does...I've done several fixes that I thought was the final fix until it stopped working again.....I never knew what to expect when I turned on the C/C....

That all changed when I installed a $35 throttle lock (Vista Cruise) that I bought from JC Whitney...It locks and unlocks the throttle with a thumb lever...Simple and easy

Sure, I'd rather have my sophisticated Venture cruise but this device works fine...