IGNORED

Seafoam?

frankc

Please don't think I'm stupid, but I read everyone using something called Seafoam. Now from the threads, I can see it has something to do with the fuel.

Would someone please tell me what it does and where it can be pruchased! It seems everyone uses it.

Thanks

I will probably take a good flaming for this but I have stopped using seafoam, and am using Camp Fuel instead.

Here is my reasoning:

Most gasoline now have Ethanol so the fuel drying part of Seafoam is moot.

About 30% of Seafoam is what is in Camp Fuel at a much higher cost per ounce.

I can get a gallon of Camp Fuel for about the same cost of a pint of Seafoam. That is about a 8:1 ratio.

Read post #19 in the tread at THIS link.

If your bike runs great it probally wouldn't make a noticable difference but will keep your fuel system going like it should. And there is a lot more dirty fuel out there than there used to be in my opinion. If your system is dirty you can't find a better cleaner. KiteSqiid's Post is very interesting. Would save us some money. I would add about a gallon to my first tank every spring and make sure it had some for winter? But is he saying it doesn't do the drying and we still would need to add something for moisture?

KiteSqiid's Post is very interesting.

Thanks, but I cant take the credit for researching it, I found it on the Internet. I just found the URL.

Would save us some money.

Yes it would!!!!!!!!! one pint can of Seafoam costs about the same as one gallon of Camp Fuel, which is about an 8:1 ratio. but there is more...read below.

I would add about a gallon to my first tank every spring and make sure it had some for winter?

That is probably too much. I would use about one third of the amount by volume. The Camp Fuel is 3 time more concentrated with the cleaning agent than Seafoam. so if you used the same amount of cleaning agent it come out to a 24:1 ratio!!!!!!!!

But is he saying it doesn't do the drying and we still would need to add something for moisture?

There is no alcohol in Camp Fuel, just what we would use as a carburetor cleaning agent and some stabilizer (This is from the MSDS for Coleman Camp Fuel) Seafoam has is about 1/3 isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol) (According to Seafoam MSDS). MOST gas stations in my area sell gasoline that is 10% ethyl alcohol (AKA ethanol) so there is no need to add a fuel dryer as it is already in every tank of gas you buy.

To check for ethanol in your fuel, get a small diameter test tube, so that you will waste very little fuel. Put some water in the tube (about 10% of the height of the tube). MARK this level!!!!! Fill the tube with gas from the pump and cover and agitate the tube for about 15 seconds. allow the water to settle out. if the level of water has gone up, it means you have ethanol in the fuel as the water you put in originally will bond to the ethanol and it will settle to the bottom, registering as an Ingres in volume..... properly dispose of the fuel and water in the test tube.

I might add some Stabilizer to the tank if you plan on parking your bike for a month or more, say over the winter, but probably not otherwise.