IGNORED

Western Canadian Rally anyone?

friesman

yes and closer to the US/can boarder, we could have more of the states people up, is there anyone on this site from the calgary area?

Well, to be honest, I dont think we will get too many stateside coming north, As the Star rally is in Billings in July and the VentureWest is where alot of people go, and there is a possiblility that it will be held in Cody wy.

That puts 2 events fairly close to the border already on their side. Thats why i was kinda thinking keep it a bit farther north, but am open to anything at this point. Anyone else have ideas on where would be good to go for our first rally?

Brian

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a bike rally at nelson already and also one at merit bc the one at merit is suppose to be a big one, perently they get bands in for theirs

isn't that a Goldwing rally at Merritt ...GWRRA? Besides, Merritt (I think) would not be central enuf for many and not really far enuf for me LOL. So, I won't vote for Merritt LOL

Guest tessa c2

one thing that one must keep in mind is we need a few roads that will loop around so if there is any day rides, that we can end up close to camp at the end of the day:think:

yes i think it is, keep in mne there is one also at falkland bc:think:

years ago, when I lived in Kamloops and after that, in Mara, the "biker rally" in Falkland coincided with the Falkland Stampede....and it was predominately a Hells Angels kinda biker rally. Don't know what it is these days as I haven't been around that area for about 10 yrs. One thing is certain, there are a lotta biker "rallys" in the Thompson/Okanagan/Kootenay areas of BC.

I used to be in the Cranbrook area quite a bit when I had a brother living there. There are several routes to go around there, like up to Fort steele, and around there . Could go though to Fernie and the crowsnest to Frankslide, plus take a trip up to the cool downtown Kimberley.

But it would be nice to find an area where there are a member or 2 living there to give us some "on the ground" info.

Brian

Depending on the dates (we are going south for the International venture rally) we would love to attend this.

BlackIce lives in the Okanogan valley, he can give some info about that area....he always reminds me about his longer riding year and the great roads!

Remember too early in the year and those that have to cross the big hills probably wont make it.....lots of snow up there even into June sometimes.

As long as we're throwing out location suggestions. How about up in the Shuswap area?

Good suggestion....wonderful area for sure....personally tho, I would like to see this event take place somewhere in the Kootenays simply because it makes it easier for everyone to get to it (I'm referring to those from Alberta and east of there) ... IMHO.

Good suggestion....wonderful area for sure....personally tho, I would like to see this event take place somewhere in the Kootenays simply because it makes it easier for everyone to get to it (I'm referring to those from Alberta and east of there) ... IMHO.

yeah I agree for the first one we gotta find somewhere thats kinda central to most of us to try and make it easier to attend. I dunno but I keep coming up with Cranbrook Kimberley area in my brain, its still pretty reasonably priced, not as crowded as the Banff/Jasper corridor and its central with great scenery and I would think nice rding. But to be honest ive never ridden there, just driven around and ive liked it a lot. I just went thru there last month coming back from VentureWest IV and I gotta say its gorgeous.

I guess we will wait for more ideas for a week or so and then whadya all say about a poll with the 3 or 4 most popular ideas?

Brian

Was just thinking, maybe we can get the info from Salty, for the Radium Ride he had set up a couple of years ago & base it out of the Radium Hotsprings area. If we do this one Swims suits, please no pond monster sightings....

Hi Paul, have you started your teardown yet? If you need some help with the teardown i could drive up next Sun and help out.

Except for the chance of monster sightings that would be a great ride, as its 148kms up hiway93 from Cranbrook , Also we go past Fairmont hotsprings and a lake that is the start of the Columbia River.

The other way from Cranbrook you can go thru Fernie and see the peaks and scenery, thru the Crowsnest Pass and take in the Frank Slide site about 168kms. Its amazing to see how a mountain rockslide with boulders the size of apartment blocks buried a whole town without a trace.

Or if youre into history you could ride up to Fort Steele a restored fort and town from the gold rush era.

Brian

The idea sounds great. I was hope to transport my bike out west next summer to take a couple weeks vacation in the mountains. Travel that route by transport al the time but two weeks just isnot enought time to ride out there and back. The kootnays or the okanagan valley are great travel areas .:97:

Guest tessa c2

well by the looks on the map we are all pounding the same area pretty much, the BC/ALTA boarder pretty much, which works out from a day to 1 1/2 days ride for most. i have been in that area a few times, and there is some nice camp grounds there that have showers ect. would have to be a place that has a nice hotel in the town, for those who aren't keen on camping. :think: Rocket, what's the chance of you pulling a marque tent out of stores and finding a driver who owes you some extra duties for a weekend?

I have just picked up on this thread and haven't read all of the posts but if you are looking for the best place to meet in Western Canada there is none better than New Denver with ride central to be The Valhalla.

We have held a few meets in that area. Joan at The Valhalla caters to riders. She will lay marker cones in the parking lot for reserved bike parking and offers a discount for biker scum like us.

Here are a few pictures from our ride there last year:

http://www.actualriders.ca/ccphotos.htm

You can find some accommodation info at this site:

http://actualriders.ca/casualcruise2008.htm

Bottom line there are fantastic riding roads in the area. Destination Highways ranks a couple of them as the first and third best riding roads in all of BC. Add the terrific scenery, free ferry rides and an all round biker friendly environment and it is my suggestion as the best place for a western meet.

By the way I lent Salty a hand to organize the Rocky Mountain Ride To Radium Meet. Radium is good too but the riding roads are no where near as nice as the New Denver area.

Guest tessa c2

years ago, when I lived in Kamloops and after that, in Mara, the "biker rally" in Falkland coincided with the Falkland Stampede....and it was predominately a Hells Angels kinda biker rally. Don't know what it is these days as I haven't been around that area for about 10 yrs. One thing is certain, there are a lotta biker "rallys" in the Thompson/Okanagan/Kootenay areas of BC.

silvert: yes i remember years ago, used to pull in there at midnight -2 in the morning at the stampede grounds and there would be bikes and horse trailors all mingled together, most of the bikes where on the right side of the highway, but used our side as a overflow, proved interesting some years:Cartoon_397:

I have just picked up on this thread and haven't read all of the posts but if you are looking for the best place to meet in Western Canada there is none better than New Denver with ride central to be The Valhalla.

We have held a few meets in that area. Joan at The Valhalla caters to riders. She will lay marker cones in the parking lot for reserved bike parking and offers a discount for biker scum like us.

Here are a few pictures from our ride there last year:

http://www.actualriders.ca/ccphotos.htm

You can find some accommodation info at this site:

http://actualriders.ca/casualcruise2008.htm

Bottom line there are fantastic riding roads in the area. Destination Highways ranks a couple of them as the first and third best riding roads in all of BC. Add the terrific scenery, free ferry rides and an all round biker friendly environment and it is my suggestion as the best place for a western meet.

By the way I lent Salty a hand to organize the Rocky Mountain Ride To Radium Meet. Radium is good too but the riding roads are no where near as nice as the New Denver area.

I have to agree... I've ridden these areas many times and it's absolutely the best. New Denver, Nakusp, Silverton, Slocan, Kaslo, Nelson, Balfour, Kootenay Lake, Ainsworth Hot Springs .... crap, brings back so many memories especially since I was born in Trail, BC and basically grew up in that area. I have no qualms holding a rally there....I'd just be concerned about those folks east of the rockies being able to make it. But, if they could, it would be well worth it for them.

must agree, was looking over the map and that creston area wouldn't be bad:missingtooth:

Not s sure about the quality of accommodations / camping around Creston but staging the rally around the Nelson area opens up numerous possibilities for day rides. One great route would be to take the ferry across the lake from Balfour...ride down the lakeside to Creston, over the Salmo/Creston pass and back to Nelson. Gorgeous country. I first travelled that ferry route when I was a young boy, in the back seat of my parents car. That was the days when the ferry was the only route. There is a house made out of glass bottles along the way that has been there since before my first trip with the parents. I always stop there if for nothing else but the memories.