IGNORED

Extending the tongue on a HB trailer.

Monsta

is there a ready made extension piece for the 2.5" x 2" tongue on the Harbor Freight trailer?

If I add the swivel hitch from neosho trailer, how much length will that add and will it fit the 2.5" x 2" tongue?

Edited by Monsta

To extend the tounge on the H>F> trailer all you have to do is turn the front crossmember around and the bolt patern will let you bolt it to the frame and give about a 10" extension.That is what I have done on both my trailers.Jerry M.

Jerry, I really like that trike, its just keeps looking better each time I see it. :thumbsup2:

HF! You're right! I was thinking "HarBor freight" instead of Harbor Freight! :whistling: I editted it.

Your trailer turned out very nice!! :happy34::happy34:

So, your tongue now only bolts to the frontcross member and does not extend all the way back to the middle crossmember? It's only being held on by two bolts?? Or am I reading that wrong?

Edited by Monsta

Ken,

I would suggest that you get the hitch coupling 1st and take your measurements and then find a tube that will fit it snugly.

Not sure I understand. I have a hitch coupling. I've been towing the trailer for quite awhile now. I've got probably 8-10K towing. Sometimes the trailer gets squirelly in high cross winds or if a truck passes me the other way at a high rate of speed. I figure a longer tongue should help minimize that, right? :)

Just not sure if the swivel hitch adds much length. 10"-12" would be about perfect, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

So I ended up getting a piece of thick angle iron and used it as a forward cross member/tongue mounting point. I didn't move the existing one.

Thank you for the train of thought, flb_78! :happy34:

I now have about 10" more tongue length. I haven't pulled it yet but am getting ready to go out in a few minutes. It's a beautiful day to ride! :D

Wow! I see why it is recommended! Pulls much better. when the trailer hits bumps they don't transmit to the bike as bad. It seems to track better behind me better and it's easier to back up.

Tomorrow's the high speed test around on-coming trucks. :eek: