IGNORED

GPS tether

autopilot

After much to-do, I finally settled on a Garmin C580. Got a good deal ( I think) at ~$183 new in the box..not refurbed. I just couldn't bring myself to pay 2-3 times that for a Zumo. (or any of the other m/c specific units) Bought the appropriate RAM mount components to swap the unit back & forth between bikes and over to the truck on occasion. I still have to add aux power outlets to both bikes for the pwr plug (It's got some integral gizmo for MSNdirect). OK....yada, yada, yada....bluetooth...blah, blah, blah and so on!

Now, to the point! The C580 (not being a motorcycle friendly unit) has a pop-on, pop-off ball-socket on the back, that I wouldn't want to trust to resist a sharp bump in the road and not be rolling down the road after me at 60mph or so. I recall seeing some GPS post recommending tethering GPS units to avoid such an incident as I described above.

The question is ....HOW? So, here I am.....asking for opinions or recommendations/ideas as to tethering solutions. I have a couple of ideas, but I'd like you folks input before I decide what I'm going to do. How'd you do yours (if you did), or maybe one you saw that was neat or whatever!!! :scratchchin::fishin:

Thanks for any input!!!!

I bought the nuvi 750 for the same reasons, plus bigger screen (old eyes) the ram cradle for mine replaces that snap in ball mount, with a screw in type, then the ram arm tightens up on that ball pretty good, if its tight I doubt if it could pop off, but I also wondered about the tether as there doesnt seem to be any place to fasten it?? We were on some pretty bumpy roads today and mine did just fine. Craig

Neat gadget! The only problem for the c580 is that in order to use the gadget, I'd have to attach it some way to the case.....which is why I posted i the first place. So far my ideas have involved screws, or superglue and brackets of some kind. I even thought about supergluing the RAM base-ball mount to the socket on the back of the GPS; but that would prevent me from using it with a dash or windshield mount in the truck or car! And based on what I can remember of the old post I mentioned in my first post, tethering is still recommended, regardless of how secure the mount appears to be......SOOoo..we'll see what other kind of ideas come out of this. Methinks I'm not going to have much choice other than to screw something to it. We'll see.