IGNORED

Gas Prices AR MS AL

Missionary Rider

Rode today from AR across MS to AL. Arkansas and Alabama gas prices seem very similar, just under $4. Prices in Mississippi were astounding! $3.53 a gallon in lots of places around Tupelo. How can they do that? What can't neighboring states? Yes, I know taxes are cheaper but not THAT much. Enquiring minds want to know.

Lynn

...Although around NC they've started sending out subpoenas to gas stations that may have been gouging...

Margaret

Our fine attorney general has done the same thing in Arkansas. Our price this morning was $3.68 and it hasn't moved for a few days.

Guess maybe the states should take on big oil instead of the federal gov't. Seems they scare them more. I think the prices here are down. I know local prices have gone below the 3.99 price now by about a dime. Before Ike we were around 3.36.

Margaret

A couple comments... There is no Federal "gouging" laws, especially on gasoline. Since the federal government deregulated almost everything, even most of the "price fixing" laws have went by the wayside. The US Dept of Energy says if you see price fixing or gouging, contact your local authorities. So you are right Margaret, the states would scare them more. Recently tho, the wholesale price of a gallon of fuel went to 4.85. It may or may not have been justified or even legal but it happened. Now add delivery fees and station profits and you'll see 5.00-6.00 per gallon would have been easy to justify by the dealers in court. NC was issuing subpoenas to stations selling at 7.32 or thereabouts per gallon but I doubt there will be any collection of the half million dollar fine that they could get. That's just the way it works. Lots of sabre rattling, very little enforcement. In Florida, in 2004 & 2005 hurricane season, the Attorney General's Office received over 14,000 complaints of price gouging. 83 of the complaints were formally investigated, and 17 were prosecuted, none for gasoline. Off :soapbox: :witch_brew: