IGNORED

Aux Splitter Question...

bugfish69

Recently I split the fairng to install Sat Radio & GPS. I removed the tape deck to make a storage pocket and installed a 3 way spliiter for the aux connection.

What I found out was that I could hear my Sat Radio fine until I plugged the audio cord into my GPS and then I could not hear the Sat Radio. Is there no way I can listen to SatRadio and have the GPS vocie over when turns come up?

Anyone have a similiar experience / fix for this.

Recently I split the fairng to install Sat Radio & GPS. I removed the tape deck to make a storage pocket and installed a 3 way spliiter for the aux connection.

What I found out was that I could hear my Sat Radio fine until I plugged the audio cord into my GPS and then I could not hear the Sat Radio. Is there no way I can listen to SatRadio and have the GPS vocie over when turns come up?

Anyone have a similiar experience / fix for this.

Nope not that I know of. by hooking up both you will find they both are very low. I believe Cycle Gadgets may having something that will make it work, but if I remember correctly its $$$$

Since you already have the satellite radio & GPS units, it's a little late for this solution: Garmin Zumo. Satellite radio, MP3 player and GPS guidance from one unit (plus bluetooth connection to your cell phone). Works nicely and sounds great.

Of course there is! Look at the mixit2, http://www.mixitproducts.com . One of the best investments I made! Once you hook it up (I mounted it under the cowling) you balance the volume level of all sources and forget it! Fron then on you will be able to listen to all sources, separately or all together. Plus it had essentially a filtering effect improving sound quality. What was before OK is now excelent.

I would highly recommend it. And if you have any questions talk to John Brown he is very helpfull.

A little out of my price range right now. I already had the Sat Radio and My $89 GPS is not as nice but get's me where I'm going.

Also, I may consider it again when we find out what the results of the merger are going to be. I am not switching to xm programming.

I do have a couple of questions about the Zumo though.

1. When I switch to play either MP3s or Sat Radio can I go back to the navigation screen and leave the music playing and just have the GPS voice over the music for my turns? My current GPS has a MP3 player but I must leave navigation mode to get to the music which kinda defeats the purpose.

2. Will the Zumo synch with Itunes like an ipod or will I have to convert all music to a different format?

Since you already have the satellite radio & GPS units, it's a little late for this solution: Garmin Zumo. Satellite radio, MP3 player and GPS guidance from one unit (plus bluetooth connection to your cell phone). Works nicely and sounds great.

Plugging in two devices causes them to load down each other.

Seems like sometime past I saw talk here about using the audio channel from the cassette as another input. Seems like a jumper is needed to make the system think the cassette is still installed and connect a device to the cassette audio wires.

Never tried it myself but may be something there.

Jerry

I do have a couple of questions about the Zumo though.

1. When I switch to play either MP3s or Sat Radio can I go back to the navigation screen and leave the music playing and just have the GPS voice over the music for my turns? My current GPS has a MP3 player but I must leave navigation mode to get to the music which kinda defeats the purpose.

Once audio is playing on the Zumo you can switch to any of the other screens: current map, address book, compass, trip info, photos, etc. and the music keeps on playing. When the GPS is ready to give directions it mutes the XM, makes the nav announcement, then unmutes the XM. If you're listening to MP3s, it pauses the MP3, makes the nav announcement, then resumes the MP3.

2. Will the Zumo synch with Itunes like an ipod or will I have to convert all music to a different format?

I don't use iTunes (just MP3s I've ripped from my CD collection) so I can't answer this one. Hopefully, someone with some knowledge here will chime in with some info.

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem with my aux. set up. Rather than using the Mix It device, I installed this AmpliRider. Works great, Aux volume now equalized and can be adjusted independent of the bikes audio volume controls. Super easy installation and less $$$ than the mix It. :thumbsup2:

Got it from these folks:

www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html

I disassembled the remote volume knob from the box and mounted it through the dashboard just to the left of the left speaker for a "factory" look.

The iPods and iTunes are exclusive to themselves.... purposely made that way by Apple of course. iTunes will not download music from an iPod either, just upload and delete. They do however work with the .mp3 format so the music can be stored and is accessible as files on your PC that can be uploaded to other sources. To get music off an iPod there is an inexpensive application available called Tune Transfer that is easy to use.

Jim,

I have exactly the same problem. Garmin Streetpilot on one "Y" aux branch. Another "Y" aux branch for my iPod. When both were competing with each other, the sound from either was less than if one of them was off. Believe this eventually damaged the audio jack on the Streetpilot since now I can only hear navigation and telephone audio weakly in one headset speaker (not stereo). I have since installed a Sirius satellite radio instead of the iPod on that "Y" branch, but I keep the Streetpilot audio cable unplugged to insure I don't damage the satellite radio. Still have to look into getting the Streetpilot audio jack fixed.

The mix-it device looks pretty interesting. Once I get the Streetpilot audio jack fixed, think I'll be able to convince Susan to spring for the Mix-it if it gets me back to a point where I can use the bluetooth to receive calls simultaneous with the Sirius being on.

David

I also have a GPS and a Sat Radio on my 2nd Gen. I wanted the radio to be on and the GPS to talk to me at the same time. Simply splitting the signals lowered the overall volume. I came up with a way to isolate each output and overcome that problem but I couldnt control the volume of each device satisfactorily. My final solution was to make my own simple mixer. The whole story can be seen in this thread:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=348263#post348263

If you have some technical ability, this was easy to do, rewarding and it has worked great since I did it. I can individually adjust volume of each device with no loss of total volume.