IGNORED

Changing the oil

You can't really go wrong with the Yamaha brands, but Amsoil makes filters and great oil, and there are lots of other good combinations. Just be sure to stick with a "motorcycle" oil, not a car oil, and nothing that says "energy conserving" on it. It won't be good for your clutch.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21388&d=1220221415

I think this will lead you to a list of compatible oil filters. There are selections from WalMart, Napa, and others.

As for oil, just look for the circle on the bottle. Around the outer ring of the circle, most oil will say 'energy conserving'. You don't want that. I have been using Mobile 1 synthetic along with a Walmart or Napa filter and it seems to work fine.

RR

Get either the PureOne or Amsoil EAO filter.

Run a synthetic that does not energy conserving. This bike has a wet clutch that shares the oil with the engine and transmission. If the oil is energy conserving it will have stuff in it to make it slicker, and that is bad for your wet clutch.

A lot of guys are using Rotella T synthetic Diesel oil with great success... I will be using it in my next oil change.

Here's the most complete oil filter chart I've ever seen. Ours is in group 5 down at the bottom. The Supertech ST7317 is as good as anything going. Do not use Fram or, amazingly, Yamaha's own filters either. Their construction and filter elements are terrible.

Rotella T diesel oil is good. It's available in both regular and synthetic. The synthetic actually caused my bike to do the gear whine. Back to regular for me, and it instantly disappeared.

Both of these are available from Mallwart.