Mine did the exact same thing prior to the first Vogel, the noise got so bad Muffinman could hear it from his bike, this is the fix that Muffinman and Doken did for me to keep me from selling my 1st gen. My gear looked exactly like yours, but that was the only thing we had to replace, since the other gear on the inside did not have a scratch or mark on it, and it still runs fine to this day after about 18,000 miles.

that sounds kinda like mine did before the main output shaft on my 85 went. I had a whine that would come and go and i couldnt track down. finally found it when my output gear went inside the gear box.

the guys here think that the driveshaft snapped at the ujoint and was held together by the nut, and i couldnt find it. it set up a vibration that took out the gears eventually.

Brian

heres a couple of pics

If it disappears when you pull in the clutch it's a whole 'nother animal.....

What kind of animal? I'm going to be ripping out the 1st Gen tranny this winter and putting in a 2nd Gen tranny with vmax rear end. What should I should I look for when I do this?

Do you mean pull the clutch in and let the engine idle down while the bike is still going? If so that sounds like something in the engine to me.

Wow, all these driveshaft gear problems are a little scary.

My 87's speedo is right on. The rider, OTOH, does not wear a Speedo...:whistling:

Some time back GeorgeS did a detailed write-up on lubing the speedo. It may be in the tech library.

Jeremy

Do you mean pull the clutch in and let the engine idle down while the bike is still going? If so that sounds like something in the engine to me.

Wow, all these driveshaft gear problems are a little scary.

My 87's speedo is right on. The rider, OTOH, does not wear a Speedo...:whistling:

Some time back GeorgeS did a detailed write-up on lubing the speedo. It may be in the tech library.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

You need to remember all the Ventures riding around that rarely have any problems. If you go by what you read here you'd think that this is the worse motorcycle built. You just hear about the problems here.