IGNORED

Battery Tender

T.J.

The wife heard on the radio the other day from the "car guys" WJR here in Michigan. That putting a battery tender on your battery all winter long will take away or ruin your battery. If this is the case why do they make battery tenders? Besides to make money!

My bike is an 04 with the original battery and I have always kept the battery tender on it all winter. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this before. I always thought it keep your battery in the best of shape.

I keep my battery on a tender all winter too.

I used to take it off the bike and inside the house to 'tend' it over the winter, but now I just leave it on the bike and plug in the tender. Still going strong in the battery's third season and two winters out. Canadian winters that is!

Hope this is of interest.

Brian H.

Guest Ken8143

For some reason, this I had my battery tender on as usual, and my battery cooked almost dry. First time for this. Any ideas what happened here? The trickle must have malfunctioned?

I leave my battery tender on all winter. The first battery lasted 4 years I'm on my second one now. One of the things about a battery tender, if it gets unplugged but remains attached to your battery it will kill the battery. Thats happened to me twice. Family members unplugging the battery tender from the wall in order to use the outlet and then forgetting to replug the BT back in when finished. A way to prevent this is to attach the BT to the wall with a bracket.

Sounds to me like they used the wrong terminology. Said Battery Tender when they were meaning trickle charger would cook your battery if left on cause it will. I've had my bike on a Battery Tender for almost 2 full seasons. Just plug it in after a ride and its on all winter. Original battery and almost 32,000 miles and still strong.

I go boating with a trial lawyer now and then. He told me he will never use an automatic charger on any of his equipment. He claims they can malfunction and cause fires. He sites many cases where his friends have sued and won. He uses a solar battery charger on his boat to keep it charged during the off season. He claims there is no way for it to malfunction and provide to much power and boil out the acid or cause other harm, so he feels safe with it. If it fails he will only have a dead battery, not a fire.

I've been in boating for over 40years, and there's nothing wrong with leaving a smart charger plugged into the dock to keep you batts topped off. There's also nothing wrong with leaving a 12.9vdc batt tender plugged in all winter. It's when the tender puts out 13.5+vdc that batteries will go dry on you. At 12.9 there is no way a battery tender will destroy a battery. Sounds like the WJR Car Guys know what the 'H' they are talking about.........

Guest CJVenture

In my experience "car guys" type shows can be useful re: hints and tips, how-to's announcing new products, etc. But in the end what you hear is just the opinion of one or two people, and not necessarily gospel.

Kinda like this web site in a way... lots of good into, great people, but when someone says this is better than that, or do this, not that, it is usually someone's OPINION.

Just my :2cents: :stirthepot::stirthepot:

Charlie

• 1 month later...
Guest Dandy1

I got 5 years out of a battery in my Honda Valkyrie. and 4 years out of a battery on my lawn mower and 3 years so far on my battery in my 4 wheeler. I keep them all on Battery Tenders in the winter, you can't go wrong as far as I'm conserned. Remember in the winter when you are storing your bike that a dead battery will freeze and bust and one fully charged will not.