IGNORED

Cruise control prob; 1988 xvz 13

azxvz1284

Okay, the cruise control powers on easily, the other lights are on for just a moment, and then off, while the power light stays on. I am going 40-50+mph, push the switch to "set" and nothing happens; no light or action of the bike to indicate its working. Let go of the throttle and its clearly not engaged as nothing is happening to indicate the cruise control is functioning; revs and speed drops per usual.

Help!

Thanks,

Richard in AZ

I've read the most likely culprit is a worn clutch lever bushing. In that case the switch that senses the clutch lever is being pulled (and the cruise must release) never opens. In my case it was the rear brake peddle switch causing problems (so my brake light was always on). Anyway - both are fixed now. I never use my cruise but I can.

The clutch lever has a switch mounted behind it that may be stuck. The switch has a small plunger that sticks and doesn't allow the cruise to work, Check the tech section for details to remove and clean the switch. There are small parts (springs) that may be easily lost. Use caution when disassembling the switch.

Copy & Paste URL below.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42720

Jim

Are the turn signals self cancelling if you leave them flashing? If they do not, there may be an issue with the speed sensor mounted at the speedometer that the cruise and signal canceller both utilize.

The cruise interlocks (r/brake, f/brake, clutch) can be tested easily by removing headlight since they are wired in series. Send me a PM if you need more info.