IGNORED

RSV rear shock

There is a shop manual for download available somewhere. But it is pretty straight forward. First off, what are you replacing it with? Another OEM or a Hagon or something? First need to be able to support the bike completely, because the rear wheel is not going to have any support. Let any air out of shock that may be in there. Disconnect the hose so its free to remove. Then there is only a bolt on the top you need to access thru the right hand cover if I remember right. The lower bolt you can get at from the bottom. Shock should then drop out and reverse process to install. Try here http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002013&id=337 Cut and paste, for some reason a link wont work.

This is also a good time to look at raising links and to inspect/relube the needle bearings that the mounting bolts run through.

And to lube the drive splines, and clean/lube the drive pins.

How many miles do you have on your RSV? If more than 50k, it might be a good time to have the rear wheel bearings changed.

If you have a decent lift, this isn't really difficult, just time consuming.

And +1 on the Hagon shock vs. the OEM.

RR

I need to change the rear shock on my 2001 RSV. Where can I find the instructions on how to do this?

This is really a 6pack job. You can get the shock out just by removing wheel and links and drop it out from the bottom. However, like everybody else says, now is the time to clean and regrease everything.

shock.jpg