Thread: 83 front brake switch

United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 83 front brake switch

Hi everyone
    New guy here. I have an '83 Venture Royale with factory cruise control. I need a new front brake light switch. The one I received from Yamaha has only two wires, while the existing one on the bike has 4 wires, and runs through a small block (resistor or capacitor?) before plugging into a four gang block in the headlight shell. The Yamaha dealer I spoke with couldn't find any reference to the different switch, or a part number for it. Anyone had this same problem??

United States
    NY
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there are different switches depending on whether you have cruise or not. The second set of contacts on the 4 wire switch is to tell the cruise control controller that the brakes have been applied and to turn off the cruise control. Only the Royale model had the cruise, and the '83 I think was an option. You can try '84 on up for the proper switch. I had an extra but gave it away a couple of months ago...

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rogge View Post
    Hi everyone
    New guy here. I have an '83 Venture Royale with factory cruise control. I need a new front brake light switch. The one I received from Yamaha has only two wires, while the existing one on the bike has 4 wires, and runs through a small block (resistor or capacitor?) before plugging into a four gang block in the headlight shell. The Yamaha dealer I spoke with couldn't find any reference to the different switch, or a part number for it. Anyone had this same problem??
    The way you have described the switch, it sounds like an 88-89 one. They put a capacitor/choke in the ones for those 2 years in an attempt to reduce radio noise.

The rear brake also has a capacitor/choke, but the clutch does not.

Cut of schematic attached.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -88-89-choke-capacitor-jpg  
    Venture Maximized
    VMax

Tucson, where we keep the ice in the freezer.
    United States
    AZ
    Post Thanks / Like

I should have 2 83 parts bikes in a couple of days once I get back from travel. If I have what you need I'll get it to you if you haven't already found one.

Let me know.

Bill
    I know the voices aren't real... But they do have some really great ideas !

The problem isn't the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Capt Jack Sparrow

United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bongobobny View Post
    Yes, there are different switches depending on whether you have cruise or not. The second set of contacts on the 4 wire switch is to tell the cruise control controller that the brakes have been applied and to turn off the cruise control. Only the Royale model had the cruise, and the '83 I think was an option. You can try '84 on up for the proper switch. I had an extra but gave it away a couple of months ago...
    Thanks for your help! It appears that my switch is from an '89 model like you said.
    Dave Rogge